Noisette Rose, Tea Noisette Climbing Rose 'Marechal Niel'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Marechal Niel
Additional cultivar information:(aka Marchal Niel)
Hybridized by Castel-Pradel

Orlando, Florida

Annapolis, Maryland

Paris, Texas

On Jun 1, 2011, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I have had no experience with this plant but have been looking for this rose for many least since 1967 or 68 since my grandmother told me that she remembered this rose climbing on an arbor or trellis built next to the front entrace of the house where she grew up in North Georgia. I haven't had any luck finding it. If anyone knows of a source I would love to know about it.
Thank you!

On Aug 1, 2008, lrwells50 from (Lynn) Paris, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

My two plants are growing, but I'm not exceptionally happy about the buds and blooms. It's almost like they clump up when opening, and never open fully. Maybe it's too humid for them here. I planned to train them on an arbor, but I think I'll go with another choice.

On May 18, 2006, hortensia from Langley, BC, BC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have two plants (own root) of Marechal Niel planted each side of a hardpruned holly tree against my south facing chimney. they bloomed profusely for the first time this year. utterly healthy, wonderfully fragrant. Can't praise them too much

On Jun 11, 2004, marshtackie from Orlando, FL wrote:

I planted a bush of Marechal Niel in front of my daughter's west-facing window when she was a toddler (she's now 28). It was an awkward narrow location between the house and a hedge; I relied on the comment that Marechal Niel can take more shade than the average rose. It's growing into the neighbor's treetops now.

When some close friends of mine got married, I gave them a plant of Marechal Niel and planted it for them. Their location was a better one, and the plant grew into a magnificent rose.

Both these plants are in Florida and are on our locally favored R. fortuneana rootstock. Incidentally, finding one is rather a job. When I told a nursery owner "What do you mean, you don't have a plant of Marechal Niel? There's one right here!" he said, "Oh, you mean M... read more