PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Marianna's Peace'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Marianna's Peace

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Shirley1md

By aries44
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by aries44

Positive CaliforniaGuy On Jun 17, 2014, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Excellent tomato, easily in my top 3. It has a rich, complex, strong tomato taste with just the right amount of acid. The bush grew large and vibrant much faster than my other plants this year, and surprisingly produced the first tomato of the season. A good compliment to the creamy smooth flavors of the pink brandywine.
The only problem: I skipped it the past couple years because it didn't seem very hardy or productive, but after trying again this year so far so good. It is healthier than the plants around it, as opposed to the last time I tried it. It is in a spot that gets more sun this time. Even if it ends up with low production again, the flavor is going to make this a must grow for me.

Neutral lssfishhunter On Jan 21, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety produced big, acid tomatoes. I was shocked that it would produce an acid tomato. The production could have been better but not a bad variety.

Positive lemonwater On Nov 18, 2008, lemonwater from Mountain View, CA wrote:

Marianna's Peace is one of my favorite tomatoes, certainly my favorite or second favorite beefsteak tomato. Fruit has a rich taste, it's sweet with a good balance of acidity to it.

The potato leaved vines were very vigorous, they completely knocked over their cages! (That's never happened before for me). They were also the most productive tomatoes I've ever grown. To give an idea, one plant in part shade with poor soil, had over 25 tomatoes ripening at once at the beginning of the season. I didn't count after, as I was too busy picking tomatoes :)

Positive Shirley1md On Aug 15, 2008, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

A delicious late season potato leaf variety that yields pinkish/red beef steak style fruit. It is a dense fleshy tomato with few seeds. I thought it had a wonderfully delicious sweet flavor. "Marianna's Peace" is an heirloom variety that comes from Czechoslovakia.

Positive SLO_Garden On Jun 17, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I really like Marianna's Peace. It is medium sized with a good balance of acid to sweet flavor. MP is not as productive as some other tomatoes, but still yields a respectable crop.

Positive marshallsmyth On Nov 8, 2005, marshallsmyth from Dillon, MT (Zone 3a) wrote:

I had to strongly select Marianna's Peace to get
good plants and tomatoes. The best plant's seeds
one year, and the seeds from the best plant among
those the next year. I have very excellent Marianna's
Peace now! Also, I crossed it with Gregori's altai.
The F1 was fine, but the F2's were ALL outstanding,
with a wonderful segregation set that I am now
beginning to stabilize 12 varieties from. Hang on,
give me some time. I will be having a whole series
of Marianna's Peace types available soon, plus I
have ideas for other versions to get by crossing
some of these segregations with some other varieties.

Positive Tplant On May 21, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I am now growing Sudduth Brandywine and Marianna's Peace
and both are delicious but I feel Sudduth Brandywine is a step ahead in quality and flavor. Marianna's seeds are not worth $6.00 each.

Positive winterfly On Jul 20, 2004, winterfly from East Flat Rock, NC wrote:

Brandywine and Cherokee Purple move over, there's a new variety in town. Wow!

Positive TXTomato On Jan 18, 2004, TXTomato from Caldwell, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Based on my growing experiances, Brandywine has been dethroned by this wonderful variety. This variety had reached over 10' by the end of summer and held it's own when infected with soil borne diseases. Very rich taste with generous fruit production. Individual fruits are loaded with seeds for those interested in seed saving of a great tasting variety.

Positive aceayers On Jan 14, 2004, aceayers from Casey, IA wrote:

A little late but worth the wait. Big plant with big wonderfully juicy fruit.

Positive Mischka On Jul 6, 2003, Mischka from Webster, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Delicious tasting tomatoes from this vigorous potato-leaved indeterminate. I highly recommend this variety and seeds are no longer 6 for $24.00 USD. Fruits can be left on the vine after ripening for a few days without adverse effects and they are not prone to cracking after heavy rain. Yield is not as high as some of the modern-day hybrids, but the taste more than makes up for it.

Neutral Terry On Aug 22, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Arguably the world's most expensive seed - $24 for 6 seeds.

I started my seeds this spring, and so far, I'd have to give this plant a favorable rating for seedling vigor, compared to the other plants I started at the same time under the same condition. I'm anxious to see how it performs in the garden.

Queen Creek, Arizona