PlantFiles: Cabbage
Brassica oleracea var. capitata 'Early Golden Acre'

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: oleracea var. capitata
Cultivar: Early Golden Acre
Additional cultivar information: (aka Golden Acre)

Vegetables

Thumbnail #5 of Brassica oleracea var. capitata by Big_Red

Thumbnail #6 of Brassica oleracea var. capitata by Big_Red

Thumbnail #7 of Brassica oleracea var. capitata by Big_Red

Positive tem On Apr 1, 2012, tem from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I was very happy with this cabbage. Grows very nice looking heads. One of mine became an earwig hotel, but I guess I can't blame that on the cultivar.

Positive lron On Jan 1, 2010, lron from Wasilla, AK wrote:

I have never grown Cabbage before, I started it from seed and transplanted it (only one plant) I didn't have much space, but it did very well. Very easy to grow, I left it in the garden a little too long though and it (the head) split. I harvested it anyway and was surprised at how crisp and sweet it was. This year I plan to plant more and will not wait as long to harvest. My area is considered to be zone 3, Wasillas Alaska. I highly recommend this variety. I loved it steamed or fried, just delicious.

Positive MistyPetals On Apr 9, 2008, MistyPetals from North Augusta, SC wrote:

This is the first cabbage I've grown from seed and I am really impressed by its growth so far. It has nice healthy leaves and I am pleased. Try this one, like another poster stated it's available at low prices and it grows nicely and quickly. I used mulch to protect mine.I started them on March 15 and they are the same size, or bigger, that I've seen trasplants selling for 10x the cost per package of seed.
I used cottonmeal as a fertilizer.
I'm sure the recent rain hasn't hurt either.Water frequently. I would sowing these earlier than I did in Zone 7/8.

Positive centralva On Mar 6, 2007, centralva from Richmond, VA wrote:

So far I must say my experience with this plant has been
positive.This variety seems rather hardy.I set out some four week old four inch tall transplants on Feb 28th.[after hardening off]They have had no protection other than a mound around the bottom.There health actually improved when they were put out.I have decided to put up some temporary protection due to the cold temps and wind chills expected tonight.The cold doesnt seem to bother them at all though.This variety seems to thrive on it.
NOTE:
I put this out two weeks ahead of my areas normal planting schedule for cabbage which is actually March 6th to March 16th.

Positive TuttiFrutti On Jul 15, 2005, TuttiFrutti from Spokane Valley, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Most of our cabbages were ready for harvest 60 days after transplant into the main garden. A cooler than normal early summer was probably a benefit since the seedlings were planted out rather late.

Mature heads are 6-7" in diameter. We used a 24" spacing within the row, barely enough to keep the foliage of one plant from touching the next.

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 2, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Golden Acre is an old time open pollinated short season ( 61 days)cabbage. It is still widely used as an early cabbage. Forms small compact heads which are very tender and thus great for slaw. It is easy to grow and widely available especially on the cheap seed racks in Wal-mart and similar stores.

Positive Horseshoe On Jan 14, 2003, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Cabbage (and other Brassicas) have belonged in our Fall/Winter garden for years. Not only are there less bugs to deal with but it's a crop that will grow when many others are winding down. The cooler temps of fall really bring on the flavor of cabbages, collards, Brussels sprouts. They can also be grown in the Spring/Summer garden but grow best at temperatures of 40 to 75.

Positive Weezingreens On Aug 23, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

'Early Golden Acre' is an early variety that forms round golden-green 2-3 lb. heads in about 60 days. Sweet flavor.

Seward, Alaska