California Fuchsia 'Orange Carpet'

Epilobium canum subsp. garrettii

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Epilobium (ep-ih-LOW-bee-um) (Info)
Species: canum subsp. garrettii

Ogden, Utah

Salt Lake City, Utah

Lexington, Virginia

On Jun 29, 2014, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

Strangely enough this plant has survived for 3 years in my zone 4 garden. It bloomed nicely the first year. However as might be expected it is just clinging to life for the past two and I just get a few blooms. It's always fun to try though.

On May 29, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had very good luck with this plant and also the 'Wayne's Silver' variety. I have a xeric area in my perennial bed with stone surround and have not had success with many xeric types of plants - the temperature is hot enough for them but my region is too wet and many that I've planted died out after one year. Not so with the fire chalice. The Orange Carpet is rangy and sprawling and is exactly the right habit to stretch out under a rosebush and cascade over the stonework. The leaves are a fine medium green that looks very delicate among other perennials. The Wayne's Silver has twiggier stems and a more rigid mounding habit.

On May 17, 2007, jussodee from Eugene, OR wrote:

According to Sunset New Western Garden Book, one should be cautious about planting Zaushneria. "Most grow a bit rangy, spread into other garden beds with invasive roots, go to seed and reseed themselves, and become twiggy and ungroomed through the winter."

On May 16, 2007, krdixon from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've been somewhat disappointed by this plant. I've endeavored to make my garden a hummingbird paradise, and I was pretty excited by the prospect of a Hummingbird Trumpet 'Orange Carpet'. However, the flowers aren't as intense as I had anticipated, and hummingbirds much prefer the Agastaches, Penstemons, and Salvias that I have planted around (though they will occasionally drink from the Zauschneria).

When this plant has lived its life, I think I'll plant something different in its place.

On Sep 16, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is also known as the Hummingbird Trumpet.