PlantFiles: California Buckwheat
Eriogonum fasciculatum

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Eriogonum (er-ih-OG-uh-num) (Info)
Species: fasciculatum (fas-sik-yoo-LAH-tum) (Info)

Pale Pink

Thumbnail #6 of Eriogonum fasciculatum by annlof

By annlof
Thumbnail #7 of Eriogonum fasciculatum by annlof

Positive annlof On Mar 21, 2011, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

This buckwheat is a very common native shrub in the Southern California chaparral. It tends to get woody and bare at the base with age; I have seen wild specimens which are eight feet across but quite bald at the bottom. In my garden I shear the plant back by a third in December or January to encourage a more compact habit.

Seed heads are very long lasting. Over the course of six months they gradually fade from cream to tan to rust to dark brown. I think their form and color is very subtle and compliments brighter, brassier lantanas and rockroses beautifully. However, this fall my mother looked at my (very healthy) rust-colored buckwheat and said, "aren't you going to dig up that dying plant?" I guess a plant's appeal is very subjective...

Once established, this buckwheat will survive without any supplemental irrigation in Southern California. However, I do give my buckwheats a good soaking once a month to keep them looking fresh. In the chaparral it tends to grow on slopes, so I assume that good drainage is essential.

Camarillo, California