PlantFiles: Jagged Lavender, Fern Leaf Lavender
Lavandula pinnata

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lavandula (lav-AN-dew-lah) (Info)
Species: pinnata (pin-NAY-tuh) (Info)

Herbs

Thumbnail #5 of Lavandula pinnata by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Lavandula pinnata by Kell

Thumbnail #7 of Lavandula pinnata by Kell

Positive Xindy On Aug 23, 2014, Xindy from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

I have this growing INSIDE (in a pot) in my Kitchen in Wisconsin...
It is flourishing..! I just found this site to find out how to TRIM it..!
It SMELLS wonderful just after watering...

Positive mjsponies On Feb 15, 2010, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have mine growing in a pot. When we get a ton of rain it will look a bit unhappy, but bounces back quickly. One thing that has really impressed me was how it has handled the cold. First two weeks of Jan 2010 we had record repeated freezes. Like freeze your pipes freezes ! I had this still in the pot, sitting right up against the Southeast side of the house. No cover over it. It froze back, but new shoots are emerging.
Now....if someone could just tell me how to collect the seeds !

Positive trackinsand On Jul 1, 2009, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

so far, so good here in central florida where we have had 18 + inches of rain in one week a month or so ago. i thought the soggy conditions would kill them. i have two in ground and two in pots. all four have thrived in the heat and humidity. they are in my rose garden, so are getting watered probably more than they would prefer, but no complaints from them yet.

i planted them in mid spring so they haven't gone through a winter yet here. i don't anticipate any problems. they were blooming when i purchased them and have not stopped. the foliage has a wonderful aroma. the two in ground have gotten really wide and as usual, i have probably planted them too close together and in a 'not very convenient' spot, but so be it. they are way too nice to gripe about! lol

i lost all of mine in the horrid winter a few years back but i'm not changing my rating. i just bought another one and will keep it potted and bring it in during temps that dip below freezing.

Positive FLLPam On Jun 24, 2009, FLLPam from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

Love this plant! I had three plants a few years back growing around my front entrance where they got hours of western sun, and they were as happy as can be. Note of warning - when they are happy they will spread out and crowd the area - so I would suggest spacing them accordingly. My African Iris plants were being elbowed and bullied by them. :-)

It's just a beautiful plant and required little maintenance (my kinda combination!). I'm looking to add them back to the entrance of the house in an area I hope will provide them just enough sun.

As one poster put it, they don't put out a strong lavender smell, but where they lack in aroma they make up with voluminous purple flowers.

Positive Grey_Sterling On May 11, 2009, Grey_Sterling from Menifee, CA wrote:

I love the look of this particular lavender over others I have seen. I purchased a mature plant in early March, and a late frost killed some of the foliage. I pruned it off and it has doubled in size in the past month and a half.

I didn't realize it would attract hummingbirds, but there is at least one male that guards our flower bed and visits it daily. :)

Positive tsully On Jan 26, 2009, tsully from Cleveland, MO wrote:

This lavender grows fast and large - 3'+ in one season. The long flower wands are dramatic in a pot or the garden. Needs clipping to maintain a tidy look (or not if you like the wild look). Not hardy here in zone 6, but it does well in a pot indoors by a bright window - keep dry & well drained. This is the only lavender I know of that blooms non-stop 12 months of the year unless it is cut or frozen.

Positive Barb44 On Dec 2, 2008, Barb44 from Killeen, TX wrote:

I have this plant growing in Zone 8b. It is beautiful and very large. I do have it on a drip system with other plants but it is growing well in Killeen, Texas.

Positive shanicole On Apr 16, 2008, shanicole from Carencro, LA wrote:

Grows beautifully in this climate. Smells and looks wonderfully!

Positive RichNV On Apr 7, 2008, RichNV from Henderson, NV wrote:

Perfect plant for the desert garden. It grows fast and the pitchfork dark blue flowers really stand out. For foliage and flower color this is my favorite lavender, however not much of a scent compared to other lavenders.

Neutral darsax On Jun 8, 2006, darsax from Shingle Springs, CA wrote:

I love the look and fragrance of the jagged lavender, but I put one plant in heavy clay-like soil and the water collected around the roots and it died.
Will absolutely not tolerate heavy soil and/or over watering...I lost a plant to find this out. Should have looked at DG BEFORE I planted it! Live and learn!

Positive hanna1 On Apr 12, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Blooms late spring through summer. Hardy to 20F, Fertilize in early spring, before growth begins, prune lightly after bloom.
Fern-like creamy sage-gray foliage. Finely toothed like a comb. Loose, upright growth. small, delicate, pale pruple bloom on spike 2'-4'. Dainty looking, nice scent.

Neutral Baa On Aug 26, 2002, Baa wrote:

A small, evergreen shrub from the Canary Islands.

Has greyish, hairy, finely divided, scented leaves. Bears heads of tiny, bluish-violet flowers.

Flowers July-September

Loves a well-drained, fertile soil in full sun. It's not fully winter hardy so may need to be brought indoors or be propagated if you wish to continue to grow it.

Scottsdale, Arizona