PlantFiles: Northern Dewberry
Rubus flagellaris

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Species: flagellaris (fla-gel-AIR-iss) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts
Herbs

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Partial to Full Shade
Full Shade

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Variegated
Bronze-Green
Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Mottled
Good Fall Color

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
This plant is resistant to deer

Thumbnail #1 of Rubus flagellaris by CaptMicha

Thumbnail #2 of Rubus flagellaris by CaptMicha

Thumbnail #3 of Rubus flagellaris by CaptMicha

By RVWE
Thumbnail #4 of Rubus flagellaris by RVWE

By RVWE
Thumbnail #5 of Rubus flagellaris by RVWE

Negative CaptMicha On Mar 13, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

A fan of full sun and drought resistant. Thorns can be quite painful.

These berries easily spread and become a mess. I'm going to have some job of getting in there and clearing it out to replace with less rambuncious berries.

Birds love the berries and the brambles provide an important habitat for certain animals, such as birds, turtles, snakes, rabbits, insects and more.

Positive bonnieg On Aug 5, 2003, bonnieg from New Albany, PA wrote:

We have an abundant crop this year, they're wild, and grow like crazy as long as we have sufficient rain mixed with hot days and cool nights as we have this summer. They bloom quite profusely in early spring, have an appearance of large wild strawberry blossoms, as well as a sweet aroma that just fills the air. I am quite taken with these berries, they have a delightfully 'woody' character, yet are definately of the blackberry flavored berries.

I have had wonderful success making everything from pies to preserves with these berries that, by the way, I didn't even know the name of until it hit me that they must be Dewberries because they grow quite literally on the ground rather than on canes, hence they must collect the dew from the cool nights. I am so happy to have found these wonderful berries, and this site! It's so much fun to share information about things others might not know about. All I can say is, if you just plant some out in an abandoned field (ours happens to be on a sloped over grown orchard/Christmas tree farm) and they will take care of the rest. The only thing I know they are not happy with is really hot, dry weather. They just dry up and die. Otherwise, give 'em water and enjoy!! (Additionally, I think those of you who like to make your own wine, these would be just perfect!)

Deland, Florida