PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Lucky Cross'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Lucky Cross

Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Suze_

Negative kevinitis On Feb 24, 2012, kevinitis from Ogden, UT wrote:

I grew this tomato in 2011 but it was a failure in my soils. My soil type is loamy sand so I have problems with water retention. That also means I have problems with tomatoes prone to cracking. I looked forward to their taste but never got to try them because this variety cracked and rotted so easily that I never harvested an edible fruit. Perhaps in different soil this would be a good variety to grow as a slicer.

Positive b54red On Jun 19, 2011, b54red from Dothan, AL wrote:

This is my first year growing this tomato and it is definitely a keeper. So far it is the only bi-color I have found that has the intense flavor that I like. Big beautiful fruits that are so beautiful when you cut into them. Great texture with a very nice balance of flavors. Good producer for such a large variety.

Positive SLO_Garden On Sep 6, 2010, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I was very happy with Lucky Cross. It is a large, very pretty bicolor tomato with an outstanding, sweet flavor. The plant is large with lush PL foilage that had no problems with disease. Yields were good, and it started producing late season. Overall, this is an excellent bicolor tomato.

Positive Suze_ On Apr 4, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Superb flavor, not bland at all, seems more consistent in flavor than many of the other bicolors. Low-avg production for me, so I usually grow two plants because taste is so good.

Neutral MichaelBates On Feb 5, 2006, MichaelBates from Lawrence, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Great taste and texture but production was spotty at best for us last year, but I'm chalking that up to growing conditions here last year. This is definately one we're going to try again.

Seed available from Bear Creek Farm

Positive cottonpicker On Jan 13, 2005, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Got my seed from Craig LeHoullier a few years ago and have grown LuckyCross for the past 3 years. Nice big sized fruit, beautiful bi-color, tasty!!!, moderately productive.
Well worth growing for the taste!

Positive buddym On Aug 12, 2004, buddym from Creal Springs, IL wrote:

Good yield of large (16-22 oz.) fruits. Flavor is very sweet and flesh is beautiful. It grows well here in So. Illinois and willbe a staple in my garden -- this is my 2nd year growing it.

Positive melody On Jan 16, 2003, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

A beautiful and tasty relative of the famous Brandywine.This tomato is the result of a cross pollination that happened by accident in Craig Lehoullier's garden.Thus,the name,Lucky Cross.

This bi-color has the beauty of the bi-color,with the creamy texture and unique flavor of the Brandywine.The skins are thin and the tomato bruises easily,like most bi-colors,so there is very little storage time.It is delicate and will not withstand shipping for much distance.For farmer's market use,don't stack over 2 deep.

It is one of the most flavorful bi-colors I've ever tasted and is now a favorite.

Dothan, Alabama