Sharp-pod Morning-glory, Wild Purple Morning Glory, Tievine
Ipomoea cordatotriloba

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: cordatotriloba (kor-day-to-try-LO-buh) (Info)
Synonym:Ipomoea trichocarpa
Synonym:Ipomoea carolina
Synonym:Ipomoea caroliniana
Synonym:Ipomoea commutata

Biennials

Not Applicable

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Daytona Beach, Florida

Summerville, South Carolina

Lafayette, Tennessee

Westmoreland, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Blanco, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Shepherd, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Spring, Texas (2 reports)

Waxahachie, Texas

Arlington, Virginia

On Apr 11, 2011, ransom3 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

Use common sense while deciding where to plant this Southern native.It is very showy.

On Oct 17, 2010, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

VERY invasive here in Florida! This stuff is taking over my yard, choking out my perennial beds, covering miniature azaleas, climbing a pole and covering a birdhouse! I don't think it's possible to eradicate this menace! I thought for sure our record breaking cold winter would kill it out once and for all! Ha ... it came back with a vengeance!

On Oct 5, 2006, Xeramtheum from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I. cordatotriloba is extremely invasive and has invaded my back yard. I am pulling off every flower I can reach in hopes of slowing it down.

On Sep 16, 2006, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very pretty flower but it grows everywhere, reseeds to the point you can hardly get rid of it, twines around and kills other plants and grasses! I just pull a thousand yards of this out of my yard every year. I never started it but between the birds and the wind I have it everywhere.

On Jul 19, 2005, RON_CONVOLVULACEAE from Netcong, NJ (Zone 5b) wrote:

Ipomoea 'trichocarpa' has been 'absorbed' into Ipomoea cordatotriloba as a variation and is no longer considered to be a distinct species per se.

On Sep 5, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is growing wild all over this place. It is a profuse bloomer and has covered many fences and small trees. The blooms are small for a Morning Glory, but make up for this with many blooms. We like it. Very early morning flowers tend to be more blue, fading to mostly pink in a few hours.

On Aug 27, 2004, frankentrina from Lockhart, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I happen to like them, If they're in the right spot. There was some coming up in a flowerbed when I moved in here, and I keep digging them up everytime one sprouts and transplanting it to my fenceline. I want them growing there to make a privacy border, not in the flowerbed strangling everything else. I let the vine on the fence flower, so it will continue to grow there, though I collected as many seeds as I could before too many dropped. I keep digging up the ones in the flowerbed, and hopefully I'll eventually get rid of them there. We usually dont get a hard enough freeze to kill off the roots.

On Sep 29, 2003, ckfarr from Spring, TX wrote:

Well, I can't say that I've had SUCCESS with this plant. It started growing in my backyard up through some cast iron plant and I didn't put it there! It looked okay, so I left it. Now, its growing up my trellis with some wisteria and its taking over! It looked alright for a little while, but it sure grows fast! I'll have to take some clippers to it to keep it under control.

On Apr 10, 2003, Lavanda from Mcallen, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a wildflower in Texas, and has naturalized from the southeastern USA west to Texas, if not further west. It grows as far south as all of Mexico.

If they "adopt" you and your garden, you will love them.

The flowers are small, about 2 inches in width from tip of petal to tip of petal. They vary in color from pale mauve to medium lavender color. They are not as pale as white, nor as dark as blue or purple. I have seen them grow as tall as 10-15 feet, and extend at least three feet wide.

They self-seed.

I trichocarpa has inbred so much with I. lacunosa to such an extent that it is supposed that there is no longer a pure strain of I. trichocarpa.

On Aug 29, 2002, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Texas native. This plant can be invasive as it produces LOTS of seeds and self seeds freely. It seems like EVERY SEED sprouts TWO plants! LOLOL! But in a dry place where nothing else will grow except cactus, it would do well.