Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine
Ipomoea batatas 'Pink Frost'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: batatas (bat-TAT-as) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Frost

Violet/Lavender

Variegated

By simple layering

By air layering

By tip layering

By serpentine layering

By stooling or mound layering

Northport, Alabama

Rowland, North Carolina

Roanoke, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

On Dec 13, 2009, auricnebula from Rochester, NY wrote:

I fell in love with this plant once I saw it in the nursery because of the lovely variegated colors. I kept it all this year in a container as a great spiller. For the winter, it started dying back after the first few weeks of frost/light snow. I couldn't part with it, so I dug up the tuber and replanted it indoors. I cut it back to the smallest division. I knew it was still alive and sure enough, now it's sprouting again. I am going to plant it as a climber once it grows longer again.

On Aug 2, 2007, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted this variety in the wrong place where it didn't have nearly enough room to do its thing, which is to overrun and overtake everything in its path. Pruning it keeps it under control for a matter of days before having to do it again. I loved the tricolors, and once it sent out a few small lavender blooms. Winter came and I tried (unsuccessfully) to dig it up and save it for Spring. I was surprised to see shoots coming up from its original home, but it had reverted back to an all green color. It is once again trying to eat everything near it, and I am once again back to trimming it every few days. I am going to try digging it up again this year and replanting it where it has lots of room to be a great groundcover, and also drape down over some retaining walls. I wish it was still in ... read more

On Nov 23, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very pretty, but rating it neutral because not as vigorous as other cultivars and tends to rever to all green.

On Apr 3, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very attactive plant, easy to propagate. I don't use it that often anymore, as it's just not very drought tolerant.

On Sep 8, 2005, phrostyphish from Tuscaloosa, AL wrote:

From a simple 5" x 5" plastic nursery cup to the shallow, undernourished soil in the bed surrounding my office - this plant has been one of the easiest to maintain. It virtually thrives on neglect - the only water it gets is from rain. It's survived hurricane Katrina, blazing Alabama summer weather, and continues to spread at an almost geometric rate.

I have some at my house that dies back during the winter. In the spring, however, it comes back just as colorful and vigorous as the previous year.

I'd recommend this plant for anyone who can kill a plant just by walking past it.

On Aug 18, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx
I have this planted in a hanging basket with morning sun and afternoon filtered sun up high under a night security light. Its coloration is magnificent. The morning sunshine and the security light makes it appear to glow. It is planted as ground cover and in hanging baskets at Sea World. It is an easy to grow plant.

On Feb 28, 2003, macmex from Tahlequah, OK wrote:

If the vine loses its variegation, I would suspect that the plant reverts to a more basic form because it is shocked by the cold. This sometimes happens with African violets when they are chilled and they revert to plain white or purple flowers.

Try digging some tubers before cold weather, sprouting them and replanting when danger of frost is over.

On Feb 27, 2003, Lectromail wrote:

This plant grows beautifully in south Florida. Unfortunately when we do have a close call with the weather, the plant dies out and returns totally green.

On Aug 29, 2002, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Also called "Tri-Color"and "Variegated Sweet Potato". Possibly also called "Little Pinky" and "Frosty Pink".