Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine 'Ace of Spades'

Ipomoea batatas

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: batatas (bat-TAT-as) (Info)
Cultivar: Ace of Spades

By simple layering

By air layering

By tip layering

By serpentine layering

By stooling or mound layering

Irvington, Alabama

Fairfax, Virginia

Federal Way, Washington

Mondovi, Wisconsin

On Aug 12, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Great as a bedding plant, we use as a filler for large beds, can take a whacking and keep on growing strong. Have to put down something for the slug-gos here they love to munch the foilage.

On Jan 18, 2010, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

This is good if you need a plant for dark purple or almost black foliage. It contrasts well with other brightly coloured foliage or flowers. However mine didn't grow very much - it had more of a mounding habit than trailing. Perhaps the growing season is too short or just doesn't get hot enough where I am. It seemed rather humdrum compared to other sweet potato vines I've grown.

On Mar 9, 2006, corky59 from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I love it. Grows well here in Centeral Fl. Frozen down to the ground under a big tree. Hit it w/ the weed whacker and Voila-- it's back. Ideal for a shady bare spot. Cork

On Mar 9, 2006, Ken_In_Dallas from Dallas, TX wrote:

Great plant, especially the yellow/lime green variety. I think these should be grown in containers or window boxes, though. I've never seen anything take over a garden like these! I was expecting to find pod people developing under the foliage!

On Oct 4, 2005, Carren from Cave Creek, AZ wrote:

Bought plant in August as a vegetable for vegetable garden. It is now taking over! Beautiful foliage but are there sweet potatoes in the ground? If not, it will go into a pot for it's foliage and give back valuable space.

On Aug 9, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

I purchased this plant at our local "Ace Hardware", because of the beautiful color and shape of the leaves.

About a week later, I read somewhere that you can actually start this plant from a sweet potato; place in water and when the roots come out, cut off the top portion of the sweet potato (as it will be mushy) and plant in soil.

Mine seems to be losing some of its' leaves now, but I am going to try rooting it for the greenhouse; hopefully I will have a few new plants for next year!

PS I have also seen this plant in green, but it is not as pretty.

On Aug 8, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I have grown this plant in pots--it looks great cascading from a large pot with colorful coleus--but have just discovered it will overwinter in the ground here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, if the roots are protected by mulch. A friend just gave me some cuttings from a plant she planted in the ground well over a year ago that survived through our coldest winter in over a 100 years. This Spring it came back and is now a wonderfully rambling groundcover. I just planted my rooted cuttings with cannas and lilies. A great plant.

On Aug 8, 2003, City_Sylvia from Dallas, TX wrote:

Ipomoea is an awesome plant. An absolute must in my courtyard. It looks wonderful running all over other plants. I recently planted some in with my black elephant ears, its beautiful! It grows as an annual in Dallas, Texas (U.S.)

I can't always find it to purchase, so I cut the stems and root them to take inside to over winter. Its the fastest-rooting plant I know of. I have never seen it flower though (but it doesn't need to flower.)

On Aug 7, 2003, Junebug313 from Mondovi, WI wrote:

This is the 2nd year I have planted this vine. I have it on a retaining wall and it accents it beautifully. I took clippings in over the winter and planted them back outside in the spring. I will never be without this plant in my beds again.

On Aug 29, 2002, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Similar to 'Black Heart', but darker.

On Aug 26, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Unique dark, deeply lobed foliage. Grows as a vine. Plant about 12" apart.