Tampa Mock Vervain
Glandularia tampensis

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Glandularia (glan-doo-LAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: tampensis (tam-PEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Verbena tampensis

Tampa, Florida

Trenton, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

On Feb 14, 2003, ladybird wrote:

This wonderful wildflower gave me a special Christmas present in 2002. It was originally planted in the spring of 2001 and was rather straggly looking. Within 3 months, it had dried up and died (or so I believed). The bed in which it had been planted was slightly raised, full-sun, and the soil contained added peat moss and compost; I did nothing to the bed for the rest of 2001 and 2002.
I noticed some small green plants emerging from that bed a few months ago. I now have a bed of deep green-leaved Tampa verbena, with multiple straight stems and lovely purple balls of flowers.
Moral of story: "dead " is often a premature description of native plants in Florida.

On Dec 10, 2002, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Very pretty annual for the butterfly garden. Does not get invasive or sprawl over other plants like some plants. I have found that it does not regrow in the site where it was originally installed. It will reseed itself but it typically grows well away (I have found them 50 feet away) from the original site where it was planted.

On Aug 29, 2002, FL_Gator from Dunnellon, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Glandularia tampensis is native to central Florida, especially near Tampa. Due to excessive development, it is classified as endangered. It is sometimes available in Florida garden centers, and makes a good garden plant. It is a good butterfly plant.
This species is a member of the Verbena Family, and has the typical "Verbena look" to the blooms and leaves.