Decorative Dahlia
Dahlia 'Kelvin Floodlight'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dahlia (DAHL-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Kelvin Floodlight
Additional cultivar information:(aka Kevin Floodlight)
Hybridized by McDougall

Yellow

Pruning:

Disbud

Blue-Green

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Hayward, California

Barberton, Washington

Poulsbo, Washington

Menasha, Wisconsin

On Jul 24, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Big dinner plate size and easy to care for. Better flower production then other giant dahlias. Bloom size is big but plant size remains short. Will not hesitate to replant next yr.

On Feb 2, 2014, Myrtle3cats from Haslett, MI wrote:

I have grown Kelvin Floodlight in Vermont and in Michigan. Unlike most A or AA dahlias, this dinnerplate blooms very early, so is especially suitable for northern gardens. We plant a row of them in our front yard and they definitely get attention.

On Jan 4, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

I accidently left this plant in the ground and it was just beautiful this year. I believe in the area I live, I should not leave Dahlia's in ground. But because of the success with this plant, I have left all the Dahlias in the ground this winter to see how they do. I do have trouble with this plant being too prolific of a bloomer. It's hard on the plant, so I have learned to pick off buds here and there so the plant stays healthier that way. The blooms are 8" at least. Update to post I previously made: I have since learned that in my zone, Dahlia's can be left in the ground and they all have come back and are better than last year. I will leave them in the ground from now on.

On Aug 17, 2006, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice large yellow dahlia. Steady bloomer with no problems.

On Feb 20, 2006, aaaluther from Chillicothe, OH wrote:

Real nice yellow dahlia----easy to grow, and stores well.

On Oct 26, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Beautiful long lasting bright yellow blooms. Mine generally reach about 8" - 10" across. I find mine do best when planted in containers (instead of directly in garden) in full sun with rich, loose, well drained soil. Give a spritz of liquid fertilizer once ever couple of weeks. Plant the bulbs at about 6" depth.

Absolutely beautiful, dependable dahlia that I've grown for the last 5 years. Since I'm in zone 5, I set the bulbs out in May (usually mid month). If frost is possible, cover tender vegetation on those nights with a cardboard box or remay cloth. Blooms generally appear by the end of June/ early July and continue until frost. When frost arrives, lift bulbs, cut off plant close to top of bulb, clean off with water and put in airy place to dry. I store mine in my... read more

On Aug 22, 2003, doglover from Lilburn, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

These flowers were huge! Truly dinnerplate sized. Easy to care for also; I live in Z7 and dont have to dig them up, but should since they always need dividing. They are very vigorous.

On Aug 31, 2002, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

In warmer climates you maybe able to leave the tubers in the ground with heavy mulch. But for me in Zone 6 I have to dig the tubers before first frost.Clean and let dry good.Pack in dry peat and store in cool dry place.