PlantFiles: Blue Poppy
Meconopsis grandis

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Meconopsis (mee-koh-NOP-sis) (Info)
Species: grandis (GRAN-dees) (Info)

Medium Blue

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Thumbnail #1 of Meconopsis grandis by Weezingreens

By ulfhocke
Thumbnail #6 of Meconopsis grandis by ulfhocke

By koldkitty
Thumbnail #7 of Meconopsis grandis by koldkitty

Neutral hipgranny63 On Mar 10, 2014, hipgranny63 from Edmonds, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted a Meconopsis grandis 'Himalayan Blue Poppy' in my garden last spring and made the fatal mistake of letting it bloom for me that first year. I was thrilled with the brilliant blue flowers! I just talked to some growers who said to never let it bloom the first year, but to cut off the buds so that the plant will grow stronger. I'm not sure if that's what I did wrong or if my putting mulch over the top of the plant during the winter killed it (they also said not to cover the crown or it will rot). It looks like it died over the winter as nothing has emerged so far. So I planted two more this year. If the first one comes up, I'll be thrilled, but having a grouping is ideal as you only get a couple of flowers from each plant, anyway. Will report back if the first plant rises from the dead.

Positive Leehallfae On Aug 2, 2006, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

If Rhododendrons do well in your yard, you can grow these beauties.

They are succeptible to crown rot. In ther native lands in the Himalayas, they are blanketed in snow all winter. If they are not well drained, a film of water on the soil surface can freeze and damage the crown.

Remove the top inch of soil around the crown of the plants and fill with sharp sand, pumice or perlite to prevent a film of water from forming.

Positive koldkitty On Feb 23, 2003, koldkitty from Anchorage, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

We Alaskans are so lucky to have such fabulous results growing these wonderful poppies! My plants are coming into their 3rd season and have been producing beautifully thus far. As shown in the photo above, they are striking against a weathered rustic fence.

Positive Weezingreens On Aug 7, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Meconopsis do well in our cool damp climate. My poppy did not bloom the last two years, but put out many blooms this summer after I thinned out the plants around it. Though I have successfully germinated the seed, the tiny plants tend to rot if kept too moist. This fall I plan to try direct sowing them in the ground to germinate next spring.

Bayview, California