PlantFiles: Bee Balm, Beebalm, Bergamot, Firecracker Plant, Horsemint, Mountain Mint, Oswego Tea
Monarda didyma 'Marshall's Delight'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Species: didyma (DID-ee-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Marshall's Delight

Thumbnail #6 of Monarda didyma by PurplePansies

By EvesEden
Thumbnail #7 of Monarda didyma by EvesEden

Positive gary1173 On May 30, 2010, gary1173 from Sugar Land, TX wrote:

I planted three of these in my garden last year. Vigorous, bright pink flowers occurring in late spring, and dead-heading them caused a second blooming in August. This year, the one I had planted in part shade is small and looks like it is struggling, but the two in full sun are doing great. I'll probably need to divide them this year, they're starting to take up valuable real estate in my back yard. I love the unique scent which comes from both the flowers and the foliage, and so do the butterflies and hummingbirds!

Neutral tcs1366 On Sep 27, 2008, tcs1366 from Leesburg, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grew these [Marshall's Delight] by WS method the winter of `07
They bloomed second year, [summer of '08] and they are taller than i had anticipated, so time to move them.

I have yet to find any seeds on them though.

They are very pretty when in bloom, but sort of ratty looking afterward. I've cut half of them back ... and I have found they are more drought tolerant than stated. I have them where i can't water, so they only get what 'mom nature' gives them.

Positive KaylyRed On Apr 18, 2008, KaylyRed from Watertown, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Last summer I purchased a pot of 'Marshall's Delight' at the local nursery. It was scraggly and half dead and probably a week away from the compost heap. Since it was clearance priced, I decided to try to rescue it. It looked quite ratty and sad in the garden so I pruned it back to about 6 inches, kept it watered, and left it alone.

This spring those three twiggy stems have put out dozens of babies via runners. I'm going to have to thin them out to prevent powdery mildew. Not only did the plant survive, but it's spreading quite happily. I'm looking forward to plenty of monarda in my garden this summer.

So far, two green thumbs up for this sturdy and prolific little fellow. I would've never in a million years thought it would survive.

Negative DATURA12 On Jan 11, 2008, DATURA12 from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

It will be one full season this spring coming that this plant has been in the ground and what a disappointment. I have about a dozen of these and all of them had powdery mildew. They also do not like to be pruned, when I deadheaded the head of the only bloom, the whole stem of the plant died. I see now that if I prune it I will have to take the stem down to the crown because it will just die if I don't. The plant does smell really great though and is really spreading well. I will give it one full season, if it doesn't perform off to the compost pile it goes.......

Positive jt0791 On Jul 13, 2007, jt0791 from Pembroke, MA wrote:

planted Marshalls delight this spring and it is doing wonderfully the bees and butterflies love this plant not problems with mildew so far

Positive SummerRain On Jul 14, 2005, SummerRain from Naperville, IL wrote:

I've had great success with this plant in my midwest garden. No powdery mildew and flowers that the bees absolutely love. The flowers are a clear bright pink that bloom from June to mid-July and I usually get a smaller, secondary rebloom.

Neutral lightningbug On May 20, 2004, lightningbug from Buffalo, MN wrote:

Zone 3 friends report that this plant has done wonders in thier gardens. I will purchase my first Marshall's Delight this year. I have however tried Blue Stockings and I'm very disappointed due to it being a great home for mildew. I hope Marshall's Delight pulls me out of the disappointment of Blue Stockings and makes my flying critters happy this summer.

Neutral juliacamille On Mar 25, 2004, juliacamille wrote:

I planted Marshall's Delight last year some time. It was over 12" tall at the time but lost it's height with the change of season. What it looks like now is a low growing very invasive plant. I'm curious to know if this is really Bee Balm and not an intruder and that it will grow taller as the season grows. It has done a great job spreading underneath and I'll wait to see if it blooms and has the right charachteristics of Bee Balm so I'm really just curious about it.

Positive PurplePansies On Jul 16, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

(My garden's in the Mid-Atlantic) Bright fuschia/magenta flowers that stand above fuzzy, greysih/green foliage. Grows about two feet tall. Very tolerant of a variety of conditions. Very easy to grow. Its least favorite thing is probably drought. Slightly invasive, don't plant next to shy perennials. No mildew on mine ever. No bugs or diseases and pests. Supposed to have a "Bergamot" smell and flavor, but I've noticed very little. Bees and butterflies LOVE it. Great garden plant!

Positive poppysue On Jan 22, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

'Marshall's Delight' is a cheery, bright, pink cultivar reported to be mildew resistant. I've had it several years in my garden and it's done wonderfully. It makes a large clump and the hummingbirds love it. I divide it every few years to keep it from invading its neighbors and to keep the clump vigorous. I've managed to collect a few seeds from this cultivar but I wouldn't count on it coming true from seeds. I suspect a paler pink bee balm that popped up in my garden is a self-sown seedling from it.

Winsted, Connecticut