Tomato 'Omar's Lebanese'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Omar's Lebanese

Macminnville, Oregon

King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

On Oct 1, 2014, zapotec from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

One of the best tomatoes we have ever grown. Even in the bad weather conditions in Colorado this summer (cold spells, rains, multiple hail storms in June/July), the tomato did very well. Huge fruits ( 1-1.5 pounds) and very productive. No diseases. Not mentioning a superb traditional tomato taste.
Good support is a must since the fruits are really heavy.

On Jun 21, 2011, junebug111 from Isla Vista, CA wrote:

I grew a 2 lb 7 oz Omar's Lebanese with ease and with no pampering. They may not be the most beautiful tomato, but they sure do make up for that in the taste department. A very nice blend of acid and sweetness according to my taste buds. Want to impress your friends? Grow these delicious monster tomatoes......this one's got history.

Dr Carolyn Male obtained the seed from her colleague Omar Saab, who came to the US from Lebanon. Omar's family in Lebanon had a summer home in the hills of Lebanon where they grew this huge pink tomato. Omar knew about Carolyn's love for family heirlooms, and when he visited his family he brought some seeds of this tomato back to the USA and shared with Carolyn.

On Aug 22, 2010, MBeach06 from San Jose, CA wrote:

I thought these did great. I had very large tomatoes. The largest so far was 28oz. They tasted good and were juicy. Not a lot of seeds.

They are very vigorous with large vines that need good support. I grew mine in 3 cu ft bags of soil to which I added tomato fertilizer and they did great! I will definitely grow these again.

On Mar 12, 2010, rwouhaybi from Portland, OR wrote:

The best tomato I had in my life. The plant produced 3 huge tomatoes averaging 20 ounces each. If you love BLT, you have to grow these. Will definitely grow again.

On Jan 31, 2010, AceOfSpades453 from Westbury, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This variety was included in Burpee's Tomato Rainbow Heirloom Mix. I had no problems with germination and growing it was not a problem. This was the absolute last tomato to ripen. The tomato itself is quite interesting. It seemed like several tomatoes were stuck together to form this huge thing. Flavorwise, it was actually one of the best tasting. Productionwise, it was the lowest in yield. Basically, one plant produced two gigantic, catfaced tomatoes. I do want to add that I grew this in a 10 gallon container. Perhaps I could have gotten more if it was planted into the ground.

On Oct 14, 2009, JeffAW from Mcminnville, OR wrote:

I grew several varieties of large tomato this year and in side by side taste tests by my neighbors, Omar's was consistently first or second. This was based on taste only because this is one ugly fruit. Many of the tomatoes had the appearance of being several medium sized fruits "sewn" together. Being in western Oregon I did not have any fruit until nearly the end of August but the wait was worth it. These are vigorous plants with large fruit. To say that the indeterminate vines need staking would be an understatement. Better to build a box frame around each. I will grow Omar's again.

On Mar 20, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

As previously noted, poor producer.

On Feb 27, 2007, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

They reliably produced large juicy tomatoes for two summers despite hot humid conditions. I will grow again in central Alabama.

On Jan 13, 2005, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Poor producer for me.

On Oct 12, 2004, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I tried one of these plants and it did not produce a single fruit.

On Oct 30, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is one of the giant pink beefsteaks that I tried based on reviews. After growing out and setting transplants three years in a row, I have yet to get the first tomato. Whoever said they were nematode resistant has not met a Georgia nematode.

On Feb 5, 2003, owlwrite from Albany, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

Quite large as described by others - huge 3 pound slicers - but seems seasonally irregular in quality: one year quite juicy, the next year a bit mealy. We still grow it to keep the seed strain going, but our own Deacon's Gift suits us better. Still, if you want really large slicers, Omar's Lebanese is worth a try.

Said to be from a Lebanese hill town, brought to U.S. by a college student. Fruits are slightly lobed and irregular - meaty, sweet and juicy. Compact but tall indeterminate vines are scarcely able to hold all the weight. Very productive, 80 days.

On Jan 16, 2003, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've grown them for one season and yes,they were huge.I had one weigh 3.4 pounds. The flavor was acceptable,but not memorable.Production was moderate for a tomato of that size.I was curious about the rave reviews,and now I know that I like other varieties better. It may be better in other climates/conditions,but there's so many that I like more,I'll grow something else.

On Sep 8, 2002, Pala from Olympia, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Having read so many rave review's on Omar's Lebanese, I finally grew it and they were tremendous in size, but not all that great flavored. Rather mealy (grainy) in fact with a bland flavor. Maybe we had a bad year, or they don't grow well in the Pacific Northwest, but I have other heirlooms I'd grow again over this one.

On Aug 30, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Vigorous growing from seed, but had some problems at transplanting (might have been the weather - had to replant several varieties this year.)

The packet said the fruit would be 2 lbs - can't say that's been my experience, but it's been an unusual growing season. Those that I've gotten have had good flavor.