PlantFiles: Aaron's Beard, Creeping St. John's Wort, Rose of Sharon
Hypericum calycinum

Family: Clusiaceae
Genus: Hypericum (hy-PER-ee-kum) (Info)
Species: calycinum (ka-LEE-kin-um) (Info)

Groundcovers

This plant is resistant to deer

By kennedyh

Thumbnail #5 of Hypericum calycinum by growin

By growin
Thumbnail #6 of Hypericum calycinum by growin

Neutral DavidLMo On Aug 13, 2014, DavidLMo from St Joseph, MO wrote:

Planted three plants last year late in the season and they died in our horrible winter. Planted four in May and they never flowered. Sigh. I so looked forward to them covering a bank.

Neutral jpaczkowski0 On Jan 27, 2010, jpaczkowski0 from Houston, TX wrote:

I planted 2 St. John's Worts last spring from very small mail order specimens. They have steadily grown at a small pace into beautiful ground cover-like plants. The small leaves are a very healthy medium-green and the plants are about 2 ft. wide. I have yet to see them flower (maybe this year!). These aren't showing any invasive tendencies here and I have them planted in part sun with amended soil, right under my pomegranate. They aren't diciduous in my area and the leaves don't change color as some say they do. We have had unusually long frosts here the last 2 months and they weren't harmed a bit. These seem very hardy so far without any additional needs.

Update: These 2 plants of mine have never flowered. They spread with shallow underground shoots and I have to keep trimming them back. I wouldn't call them invasive as it's simple to clip. However, not great for a garden bed but might be good for naturalization or in a woodsy area. If you want to cover a large space wtihout any effort, this works. They have stayed evergreen in my area. I will probably pull and plant something with flowers instead.

Positive myclayjar On Apr 25, 2009, myclayjar from Elgin, TX wrote:

In Zone 8 I have this growing in sandy, alkaline soil in morning sun & afternoon dappled shade. It has 1 bloom set right now (April). I'm looking forward to many more.

Our area has been in an exceptional drought & this plant has spread a little in the 4 years I've had it; but has not been invasive. If it ever starts raining it might do better here.

I really enjoy the green all year & the flowers are gorgeous.

Positive pbtxlady On Mar 28, 2009, pbtxlady from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant grows well for me in shade to part shade. It doesn't bloom in shade, but the foliage is quite healthy and resembles creeping thyme. It can be a thug, so it's not really appropriate in a flower bed, but it makes an excellent groundcover. Bears some foot traffic.

After 4 years, my hypericum is nowhere near the 18-24" described above. The tallest areas are about 12".

Neutral lwhalliday On Jun 3, 2006, lwhalliday from Pittsboro, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is growing outside an office building in Raleigh, NC. I hadn't noticed the blooms until this spring - and they're beautiful! I had to know what it was, so I did a search here and finally identified it.

Negative sparsonsusa On Jan 11, 2006, sparsonsusa from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Highly invasive. I don't recommend planting for any reason, especially in California.

Positive alien On Jun 19, 2003, alien from Lakehead, CA wrote:

I love this plant. It's drought and deer resistent. It has beautiful yellow flowers in the summer. I have nasty red dirt and rock soil which it seems to thrive on. I highly reccommend it!

Since it is such a tough resilient plant, I can see where if it was given an easy life (good water & soil) it could become very invasive. But if you have a tough spot for it, I'd give it a try!

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 30, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Aaron's beard grows by underground stems that send up vigorous new growth. It can be invasive in some zones. It actually partially deciduous.

Gurley, Alabama