Philodendron 'Prince of Orange'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Prince of Orange
Additional cultivar information:(PP06797)
Hybridized by Miller
Registered or introduced: 1988

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

By air layering

By stooling or mound layering

Albany, California

Clayton, California

Hayward, California

Orlando, Florida

Ruskin, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (3 reports)

Gonzales, Louisiana

Charlotte, North Carolina

Roma, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

On Apr 24, 2008, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the whole line of these self heading Philodendrons are really 9b-11 California hardy. A 'Black Cardinal 'of mine sailed through this winter pretty darn well..the loss of a few leaves my fault for letting it go dry.Not caused by the cold as the other leaves and the stem are solid. Just a huge surprise to me as they are ultra tropical in looks and yet, do grow in much less then tropical climates. For the "tropical look" in mild climates these hybrids are a wonder.
added: Here we are in 2010 and Prince of Orange has taken two bay area winters,outdoors,in ground open to sky. And looks darn good. 32~ hasnt killed a leaf-some browning,but not looking much worse than the typical subtropical plant in a mild temperate winter does.
A great massed ground cover for s... read more

On Mar 19, 2008, LHicks from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I've had great success with this plant. I enjoy seeing the change in the leaf color and I was very suprised and pleased when my plant produced it first flower. It's had 3 flowers so far and there is one more bud growing. I missed the first flower because I wasn't aware that it only opens for one day.

I purchased it for $2.95 on 03/02/06. I've repotted it twice and it gets several hours of full morning sun and bright light for the rest of the day.

On Aug 31, 2002, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a self-heading philodendron. New leaves are a bright shiny orange as the leaves mature they darken from orange to green. Likes bright indirect light but will do fine in low light.Does not like drafts. Let the soil dry out between watering.