Hawaiian Ti Plant, Good Luck Plant, Green Ti Plant

Cordyline fruticosa

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cordyline (kor-di-LY-nee) (Info)
Species: fruticosa (froo-tih-KOH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Asparagus terminalis

Mobile, Alabama

Encino, California

Hayward, California

Huntington Beach, California

Mission Viejo, California (2 reports)

Palm Springs, California

Apopka, Florida

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boca Raton, Florida

Bonita Springs, Florida

Brandon, Florida (2 reports)

Daytona Beach, Florida

Eustis, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Islamorada, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Kissimmee, Florida

Lake Mary, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Lutz, Florida

Naples, Florida

Navarre, Florida

New Port Richey, Florida

North Fort Myers, Florida (2 reports)

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Kalaheo, Hawaii

Kurtistown, Hawaii

Geismar, Louisiana

New Iberia, Louisiana

Slidell, Louisiana (2 reports)

Zachary, Louisiana

Ingleside, Texas

Kilgore, Texas

Paris, Texas

Port Lavaca, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Seadrift, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Reston, Virginia

East Hill-meridian, Washington

On Feb 28, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I don't even know how old ours is. It grows inside, but then it grows outside, frost doesn't really faze it if it's got sufficient protection (ours was under our deck all winter, and it stayed in the 20s for many nights in a row).

Love this beautiful plant. Love love love it

On Apr 10, 2010, Claud25 from Deep River, CT wrote:

My mom received a ti log when my sister was born - in 1956!! Mom kept it alive and growing all these years - it seemed to thrive on neglect. I inherited it about 7 years ago and it's bright green and lush and thriving. I don't live in an area where it can be outside year round, but I do put it outside in the shade during the summer months and it fills out beautifully. I'm going to try to divide the stems (canes, stalks?) and repot them to give away to friends. Is there a special way to do this without damaging the other stalks? Or is it like anything else that needs dividing - just hack it apart?

On Aug 20, 2009, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

In the area outside its hardiness, it is rarely offered as a houseplant, mostly as cutting from one house to another. Some of the most colorful cultivars are always seen in stores while the regular species is much more rarer seen.

As a green leaf form, it is often mistook for a type of Dracaena. Its shape of leaves and the way it attach its leaves to the stem in a spiral tell plain green ti plants from dracaenas

On Aug 2, 2009, opihi from Duluth, GA wrote:

As others have said, ti plants are great houseplants. Here in Duluth, GA (zone 7B) where I live now, it is a houseplant. But being from Hawaii originally, I've been also growing these plants for cooking purposes. In fact, I just used up most of the leaves on my three plants recently to make a Hawaiian dish called "laulau." The plants do fine in my south facing windows during winter and I put them in my sunroom the rest of the year. They were grown from those ti plant logs that others have mentioned. In the process of learning to garden with the four seasons that we have here, I have lost a few ti plants and plumeria as well. The three ti plants that I have left almost died a couple of years ago when I left them out in my sunroom over winter. They are all about two feet tall now and... read more

On Oct 4, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Outdoors, the all green Ti grows well to 4-6 foot. Does and looks best in shade but can take near full sun with some leaf burn.It is much hardier than cultivars. The others varieties i have tried cannot take winters cold. Even if there isn't a frost they seem to just rot away eventually. Slugs and snail attractive.

On Jul 12, 2005, keonikale from Lexington, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

The Hawaiian Ti (Ki) is one of my favorite indoor/outdoor plants. I currently reside in South Carolina and have had a lot of success in growing these plants, especially when I've bought the logs from Hawaii.

I was first introduced to the Ti here by a friend who had purchased one locally years ago. It definitely was NOT the Hawaiian grown Ti as it didn't like a lot of sun and really disliked being over watered. It's leaves still burn if it gets to much light and it gets root-rot when given the same amount of water as the true Hawaiian grown Ti's.

My next experience came with 2 logs I bought from Hawaii; but I attempted to grow them in water dishes (perhaps for too long) and shortly after transplanting them, they died. It may have been a combination of too m... read more

On Jul 11, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

As kids we would go ti leaf sliding...ti leaves + muddy hill...you get the idea. Had quite a bit in my yard (green leaves), many years old, but needed to remove most for a deck. had to dig down over a ft and it would keep coming back. took forever to get enough out that it wouldn't come back up.

On Apr 30, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

The Hawaiian Ti plant (pronounced as in tea not tie) is linked to many legends. One of them is that it is believed if you plant a ring of ti plants all around your house, Pele will not let lava come into your property.

The plant shows up in many different color combinations, but the plain green with broader leaves is the most common and the only one used for lei, hula skirts, lay-lau, etc..

The leaves can be used to make simple woven or braided lei given as a welcoming greeting. They are also used to make the so called "grass skirts" for hula dancers....which can be used whole or ripped into thin strips which are still attached to the stem end and woven into a waistband.

Leaves of ti and taro plant are also used to wrap food bundles that will ... read more