Canada Lettuce, Tall Lettuce, Tall Wild Lettuce
Lactuca canadensis

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lactuca (lak-TOO-kuh) (Info)
Species: canadensis (ka-na-DEN-sis) (Info)

Biennials

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Benton, Kentucky

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

Millersburg, Pennsylvania

Santa Fe, Texas

On Aug 14, 2010, jeffinithaca from Groton, NY wrote:

I've just recently noticed a very odd-looking plant in a part of my property that I do not garden in. This odd weed seemed to shoot up without warning and stumped every gardener I showed it to. I finally was able to identify it as Tall or Wild Lettuce. What is even more odd, I live near Ithaca, New York and to my knowledge, this species doesn't thrive this far north. And it does thrive, as it is close to eleven feet tall. It is a remarkable plant but I was afraid that it would most certianly be a harmful weed to have so I clipped it in a weak moment. I only finally identified it after the fact. I appreciate the vast amount of knowledge on this website, it was here that I finally ended the mystery.
I have mixed feelings about cutting it down but I won't lose any sleep over it ... read more

On Jun 25, 2006, Sherlock_Holmes from Millersburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

The following information is from The Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America by Francois Couplan Ph.D. (Note: This information applies to all Wild Lettuces of the Lactuca genus.)

"Lettuce contains vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D, and E, minerals, a bitter principal, and various substances, including a very large proportion of water for cultivated specimens: up to 96% in certain "iceberg" types, notwithstanding the chemical residues found in commercially grown plants.

The plant is soothing, emollient, laxative, depurative, and refrigerant.

The latex of cultivated plants when they go to seed, or especially of wild lettuce (especially L. virosa - naturalized from Eurasia in California), yields a dark brown, very bitter substance after drying kn... read more

On Mar 2, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

American Indians used plant tea as a mild sedative, nerve tonic and pain reliever. Milky latex from the stem was used on warts, pimples poison ivy rash and other skin irritations.

On Jan 17, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

The small flowers attract bees primarily, such as Megachile latimanus (Large Leaf-Cutting Bee sp.). Goldfinches occasionally eat the seeds. Notwithstanding the bitter white latex in the foliage, mammalian herbivores occasionally eat this plant. The Cottontail Rabbit eats the tender leaves of first-year plants, while the White-Tailed Deer eats the tops off of more mature plants. Horses are reportedly very fond of this plant.