Woodland Lettuce, Florida Blue Lettuce, False Lettuce
Lactuca floridana

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lactuca (lak-TOO-kuh) (Info)
Species: floridana (flor-ih-DAY-na) (Info)

Biennials

Not Applicable

Blue-Violet

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

Wamego, Kansas

Benton, Kentucky

On Jan 2, 2009, readpetunia from Hot Springs National Park, AR wrote:

I love blue lettuce, simply, because not much information about it. I've read annual or biennal. I've also read young leaves make a slightly bitter salad green. I've also read they are only suitable as a cooked green. Also, there are two variations of the species which are supposedly almost identical. I saw one on which topped 20 ft which exceeds all height expectancies I've read. Also, the hollow stalks at the end of the season are fairly strong and I believed would work beautifully for trellises. I am in Ouachita Mtns in Arkansas. Also,located north of me in Ozarks. I'm going to try a crop for salad greens and some for height and trellis possibilities, cold stratify for 60 days I believe I read. I find in open area grows tall and find also sporadically in open woods on smaller s... read more

On Aug 31, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lactuca floridana is Native to Texas and other States.

On Aug 22, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Although classed as a weed, this plant is not invasive and is not extremely common in my area. I do not actually grow it in my garden, but have observed it along the roadsides.

It grows to about 6' tall and seems to favor areas that are slightly moist. I've observed it near marshy road ditches and in meadows that tend to hold water when it rains. The other Wild Lettuce species around here aren't as picky, growing wherever seeds land.

On Aug 31, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is on the threatened list in the state of MI.