Rockfoil, Mossy Saxifrage 'Purple Robe'

Saxifraga x arendsii

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Saxifraga (saks-if-FRAG-uh) (Info)
Species: x arendsii (ar-END-see-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Purple Robe

Salt Lake City, Utah

Midland, Washington

Grafton, Wisconsin

On Jun 16, 2012, Godsnewine from Lawrence, KS wrote:

I live in NE KS and purchased several of these plants this Spring. They are lovley and I had such great expectations for them as some were planted around a newly constructed stone patch and three were planted in a cluster with Helleborus at the feet of roses and clematis vines. They performed well for weeks in well drained soil but started turning dark black brown in small patches and now it would appear that around the pathway there are nothing but dark patches where once a carpet of lush green cushions once sit and smiled. The flower bed is doing the same thing but at a slower pace. I am so disappointed in the loss of so many that says they required full sun of which the flower bed does not get the extreme sun in the mid to late afternoons. The plants around the walking path gets late... read more

On Sep 3, 2009, floating_stump from Grafton, WI wrote:

Mine gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Most tips say to keep it moist but well drained. I don't think my soil is particularly well-drained. I don't go out of my way to water it, but I don't think it every really dries out. It seems happy. It's a spreading, rubbery green mound. The flowers aren't exactly thick, but there are a lot, and it blooms for several weeks in early summer, here in Wisconsin.

I like it, for its own sake, but I can't figure out what to do with it, in a visual sense.

On Aug 31, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Purple Robe Saxifrag grows well in our SouthCentral Alaska climate. It is an excellent rockgarden plant because the foliage forms a soft mat of celery green, and the flowers are suspended on long thin stems that may rise upward, or curl about the plant. This plant does not like hot, dry conditions.