Star of Lundi, Lundi Star
Pachypodium saundersii

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pachypodium (pak-uh-PO-dee-um) (Info)
Species: saundersii (son-DER-see-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Pachypodium lealii var. saundersii

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Pale Pink

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Maricopa, Arizona

Nahunta, Georgia

Wailuku, Hawaii

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Floresville, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

On Apr 22, 2013, FritoB from Lake Charles, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We love this plant, but cannot get it to flower every year.

I wouldn't recommend making cuttings. For us, the cuttings died and the plant has never healed. There is an open hole for every place we cut a branch off (5+ years ago).

The blooms are delicate and smell like perfume. Very slow growing.

On May 29, 2009, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

One of my favorite indoor plants. I started it from seed 3 years back and it was one of the easiest plants to grow. They are said to bloom next year from seed but I have yet to see mine. Very slow growing for me, maybe lack of ferilizer? Anyway one of the most interesting and unusual plants.

On Jul 4, 2008, Mr_Cleaver from Reeders, PA (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have not had good experiences with Pachy's, but this one is very happy. So are my young P. saundersii, so if these plants are new to you try the Pachypodium saundersii. I must also add that they need to rest and go dormant in their off season to flower. As soon as you see the leaves start to yellow, STOP watering. The young ones will die when watered too late in their season. I've done it. Start lite watering in the spring.

On Oct 14, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I have the dwarf form of this plant.Judging by how well it grew through our cool dry summer,it might be a good candidate for the outdoor succulent garden in the bay area. Mine actually looks better than it did when it came right out of the growers greenhouse in May. Since its hardened off i see no reason not to plant this late in the year.
EDIT: Update, I cant believe its been almost three years since posting. As of March 2010 P.saundersi has done well in ground here(taking a handful of 33f nights unprotected over two winters) in the SF bay area. Hasn't flowered,but it wasnt much more than a seedling in 07. Right now still out of leaf and not a large plant unless you compare it to 07-THEN you see the marked growth,added branching. A nice stout alternative to the P.lamerei's.
... read more

On May 15, 2005, gil782 from San Antonio, TX wrote:

This plant is great. I would recommend it for anyone. Yet I still have not seen it bloom, does anyone know how long till that or if I'm doing something wrong?

On Aug 19, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

THis is one of my favorite Pachypodiums.. haven't planted one in the ground yet, but in a pot does great in So Cal even over the winter outdoors... so obviously a zone 11 is a bit timid... it does great in zone 9b and has taken frost down to 25F without even any damage at all- does lose all it's leaves in the first frost, but no problem with rotting of the caudex if planted in really well draining soil.

On May 26, 2003, lynxx wrote:

Massive caudiciform plant. Lovely flowers and easy to grow. Beware thorns though!