Pink Moon Vine
Ipomoea macrorhiza

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: macrorhiza (mak-roh-RY-zuh) (Info)
Synonym:Convolvulus macrorhizus

Veined

Scarify seed before sowing

Arley, Alabama

Florence, Alabama

Wilmer, Alabama

Foothill Farms, California

Menifee, California

Dunnellon, Florida (2 reports)

Lake City, Florida

Jacksonville, Texas

Magnolia, Texas

Plano, Texas

On Oct 21, 2010, GATORGRANNY from Dunnellon, FL wrote:

I have added an update to my original post. "I live in Central Florida and this plant blossoms in the early evening and then withers in the morning sun. Mine is a lovely shade of pale icy orchid with a deeper shaded throat. I have not had success in germinating the seeds so far. Does anyone have any suggestions as it bares them in great abundance each fall." It is now 2012, and I had so many blossoms last summer that I didn't even try to count them. The vine spread almost 16 feet on my farm fence and was absolutely outstanding each evening. I can hardly imagine how lush it will be this year as it has become more amazing each year. I was finally successful in germinating the seeds. I found that you must nip the outer seed casing slightly on the indented end of the seed (I used nail c... read more

On Aug 30, 2010, LovingMyGarden from Goose Creek, SC wrote:

I planted the seeds of this plant then lost the name of it. I had no idea what it was until it became a vine and had flowers to bloom, at night, much to my surprise. It is loaded with blossoms. Mine is a pink bloomer. I have not seen any moths on my plant so I used a very small artist brush to help matters along. I'm waiting to see if it works. I have a Datura bush that I did this to and now have two seed pods. Would like to see some pictures of some Pink Moon Flowers others have.

On Sep 14, 2006, Lhouselover from Arley, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my first year to grow them and they are pretty but no smell.... I still like the white moon vine the best. I have added pic to show that these are not white, they are pale pink with darker pink eye.

On Feb 5, 2005, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This forms a tuberous root, which gets larger each year.

Mine didn't grow very much the first year, but the second year, it made it to 12 feet.

The blooms are absolutely gorgeous with their soft lavender/pink color, and deeper throat. The edges are beautifully scalloped.

Great night-blooming vine which is perfect for a moon garden and wonderful for attracting sphinx moths, (which look like nocturnal hummingbirds! lol...)

It is not fragrant, like regular moonflower vine, but makes up for it, with its sheer beauty!

...love it!
-T

On Oct 3, 2004, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the most beautiful vines I've ever grown! The flowers were huge and breathtaking, not fully opening until total nightfall. The huge flower buds and crinkly leaves made for an interesting daytime plant.

On Feb 14, 2004, iluv2garden from Long Beach, MS wrote:

I have had this vine in my yard for at least 2-3 years and did not know it. It hid in a pink flowering vine and blooming late in the evening I was missing seeing it..The root is almost as big as a soccer ball.
I counted 65 blossoms in the 2003 blooming season and made sure that every seed was harvested!I will try my luck with the seed this spring.
The blossom is a luminous pink and so fragile looking.It would be ideal for a moon garden.
The beauty of it is that it comes back every year.I am in zone 7-8.

On Jun 7, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Neutral because I have just plamted 3 (2 in pots, one inground), in my zone 6ish garden & I have no idea how they'll perform for me. They are all in locations where they'll receive maximum sun. Being a tropical, I know I'll either have to bring them indoors in the fall or treat them as annuals. They're so inexpensive, I'll most likely treat them as annuals. Is this plant also called Moon Flower?? My plants were purchased under this name. It sure looks similar as do the leaves. If it is indeed Moon Flower they are highly fragrant & the flowers open in the evening. Moon Flower is in the Morning Glory family. Thanks for any help. Happy gardening! P.S. Aren't I a dolt?? Just clicked on the pic & by golly, there's my answer!! This is indeed Moon Flower!!! I'll just leave this here for any of m... read more

On Jun 6, 2003, MsBatt from Florence, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

The tubers for this plant survived in a POT outdoors in Zone 7a, and we had one night at 3 degrees, our coldest in several years. Also, the bloom color is listed here as white, but it's really a lavender-pink.