Species Rose 'Lutea'

Rosa banksiae

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Species: banksiae (BANGK-see-ay) (Info)
Cultivar: Lutea
Additional cultivar information:(aka Banksian Yellow, Jaune, Lady Banks Yellow, Yellow Banksia)
Hybridized by RHS

Trained as rambler

Other Details:

Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

By grafting

By budding

Auburn, Alabama

Daleville, Alabama

Huntsville, Alabama

Jasper, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)

Selma, Alabama

Hereford, Arizona

Maricopa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Queen Creek, Arizona

Little Rock, Arkansas (2 reports)

Bonsall, California

Lake City, Florida

Lynn Haven, Florida

Orange Park, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Augusta, Georgia (2 reports)

Carrollton, Georgia

Columbia, South Carolina

Florence, South Carolina

Loris, South Carolina

Pineville, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina (3 reports)

Anderson, Texas

Austin, Texas (4 reports)

Center, Texas

Richmond, Virginia

Anacortes, Washington

Sequim, Washington

On Aug 16, 2014, ladyincleburnet from Cleburne, TX wrote:

Love, Love this plant. My yellow lady banks was planted on the east side of our home. After just a couple of years it went from a small 1 gal. plant about a foot tall, to a very full plant I2' to .15' tall, beautiful, full of blooms. I chose to transplant it right after blooming this spring. Our weather was already getting hot, here in texas, and my lady appeared to have died. Refusing to loose her, she remains on my drip system. About a week ago (August), she started showing some new growth. maybe she will recover after all. If not, will definitely replace her.

On May 28, 2014, sandyksk from Sanger, CA wrote:

We were gratefully given 2 mature Lady Banks Roses, a white & a yellow, both grew prolifically aside a little shed, shading it all summer. They transplanted well, and within a couple of years they were gorgeous! Trim trim trim, to keep them full! :)

On May 21, 2014, lelamarie from Novato, CA wrote:

Even though this is a once bloomer it is rose that blooms at the beginning of spring and everyone is just wowed to have it our neighborhood. If the blooms just lasted longer I would have more of them.. The person who could not get Lady Banks to bloom all I can say is sorry and wish you got to experience the flowers. It is like Climbing Queen Elizabeth for me.. it is huge and I have had 2 flowers from it in 6 years.

On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This rambler grows well despite very low humidity and high summer temps. I provide mine with only part sun, but am training some of its branches to get more sun to see if it can tolerate it, with no problems so far. It has gone from a 3 foot potted purchase to now having at least one branch 15 feet up and beginning to scramble across the ceramic tile roof. The only negative is that it will bloom very briefly in the spring and otherwise just appear to be a green, hectic-looking vine. I had also attempted to plant a quart-sized pot of these, but its small size did not allow it to survive the winter. The El Paso Rose Garden has a 10yr old group of these covering a wide trellis in full unforgiving sun that seems to never have any problems.

On Apr 5, 2013, littlerockgal from Little Rock, AR wrote:

I have had good luck with the Lady Banks Yellow Rose grown in a pot for a couple of years, but, unfortunately, a bad freeze did her in.
I planted a new small rose bush in late spring last year - it had a few yellow blooms on it. I have taken good care of it through the year and was so looking forward to having blooms this spring. The date is April 5 and lots of green leaves, but absolutely no blooms...I was so disappointed.
It looks very healthy; I just don't understand why it didn't bloom. If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I would appreciate a comment...

On Jul 2, 2012, alybousofara from Mahdia
Tunisia wrote:

I've two wonderfull white and yellow ones. I never succeded with the propagation: neither by cutting (in spring 15c nor by seeds) What is the best method to do so

On Feb 13, 2012, joyceg41 from Corning, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this plant for several years and love it! It blooms and grows and grows. the local I-5 entrance and exit ramps to the highway have them growing as large bushes. beautiful!! I had 2 but had to remove one so my b-i-l could build onto house. so now i have one that is growing up the side of my deck, on the lattice and just keeps going. I love it as it provides good shade and lots of home for the the birds. My friend got me interested and I picked them up at the local nursery here in Corning and never regretted one branch of it. In fact, thinking of picking up another one. joyceg41

On Jan 27, 2012, mikaeliemom from Chandler, AZ wrote:

very leggy, taking over the garden, no flowers at all in 3 years, just dug it out!

On Jun 8, 2010, sarahbee from Austin, TX wrote:

This hardy rosebush made it through our two-year-long drought with no trouble, and, after a rainy spring, it burst out with even more beautiful yellow blossoms than ever. Needs no watering or fertilizer to thrive, and would be suitable for xeriscaping. Love this plant!

On May 11, 2010, daigu from San Anselmo, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows beautifully out in the Hill Country west of Austin and blooms like crazy. Just have to help it through the drought spells with generous watering.

On May 10, 2010, nogottarancho from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

have three of these in my yard and they are excellent plants. we do fertilize every six weeks during growing season...March to October...zone 9a or 9b depending on what reference one is looking at.

I would like to take exception the 12 foot circumference trunk as I have been to the museum in Tombstone many times and it does look like it is about 12 inches in cir.

the bush is layered over itself many times, cris-crossing many times. You have to climb a stair and over look the bush. Very beautiful. They do sell this rose there but, alas, the bush is from a nursery in Tucson (origination of all bushes in US come from the mother bush in Tombstone according to museum curator)

I have provided pics of my Lady Banks or "Tombstone Roses" as we call t... read more

On May 10, 2010, schnauzerluver from Vidor, TX wrote:

Everyone here is saying they are yellow or white. I have a Lady Banks climber that is a very soft purple. I have had her for about 5 years now and this is the first year she has bloomed and she is beautiful.

The first year that I had her,she was in a pot, I was hoping to train her on a wooden swing then we had Rita (hurricane). I had thought the hurricane killed her, but did not give up on her,she lost all leaves and was just a stalk. I kept her in the pot and nursed her back, then i put her in the ground about 2years ago and like I said this is her first bloom . I am thinking the really cold winter that we had down here may have had something to do with it. I do not know if winter plays a part in rose blooming or not.

This is definetly my favorite rose, and ... read more

On May 10, 2010, JosephineSally from Garden Valley, CA wrote:

I have several of these roses growing up a steep bank. They're all about 30 years old and are hugh. They have been beautiful the last 10 years. Last year we had a late freeze and did not get a single bloom. This year this is a lot of dead looking wood and very few flowers. The flowers are high on the hill and appear to be from rooted branches since they have a center from which all branches are spaying out of. Should I prune the older plants heavily once the blooms are spent? Would an arborist be the one to hire to do this job as there is no way a person could get up the steep bank to prune, they will have to use a cherry picker. Thanks for any suggestions. Josie

On May 10, 2010, Zorr007 from Alexandria, VA wrote:

I have a yellow Lady Banks growing next to a six foot fence which protects it from winter winds. It covers three eight foot sections of fence and is 20 feet or more up into a maple tree. I prune the canes that invade the lawn. Absolutely low maintenance!

On Apr 16, 2010, petigru from Central, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

We have a yellow Lady Banksia Rose (_Rosa banksiae lutea_) that has climbed about three stories into a slash pine tree (_Pinus elliottii_). This thornless, evergreen rose spreads widely from top to bottom; and at present (4-16-09) is covered with clusters of thousands of lovely, slightly fragrant, light yellow blooms. It's been growing in our garden for about thirty years, and I've never seen it prettier than it is this year. We're in USDA Zone 7b, and the Lady Banksia Rose is perfectly at home here. It is the glory of our garden, blooming just as the wisteria passes its peak and the azaleas rise to their zenith.

On Aug 30, 2007, cota85 from Orange Park, FL wrote:

I live in the Jacksonville Florida area and have had great success with all four of my Lady Banks rose plants.

My wife and I were in Charleston S.C. and were down in the very old section of town by the river when we saw a Lady Banks in full bloom with three colors, thats right 3 colors, (white, yellow and pink.) My wife fell in love with its smell and flower size so we had to get ONE but ended up getting four, great another ONE plant for me to deal with in our backyard garden.

Planted one on the inside of a south facing fence, the next on the east side of our house under the eaves, mistake on that one, the third one was planted on the inside of a southwest facing fence, the last one was planted on the other side of out house on the outside of a southwest fa... read more

On Mar 16, 2007, bonediggers from Gladewater, TX wrote:

We bought our place in 1998 and the Lady Banks roses were already here. The lovely vining branches grow up and into a nearby Pin Oak tree, well over 20 feet tall. The first blooms for this year appeared earlier this week and in a few days it will be simply gorgeous! I'll upload some pictures of the flowers when they're really going wild.

I highly recommend this if you want a climber that requires little to no care. I haven't even pruned ours but will this year. It's a consistent, easy care, and pretty rose.

On Feb 21, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

What a lovely rose.. it was on my wish list and my heart jumped when by chance I saw it early spring at a big box store last year. I have planted three of them around my children's play set with hopes that it will eventually engulf the entire top and give the entire wooden play set a very cottage feel. It is thornless, so perfect for the play area.. Just love it. I will post pictures once it gets going as I want it to.

From counrtysideroses.com:
Class: Species, Climber
Bloom: Light yellow
Size: 20 ft. tall
Introduced: Parks, 1824
A light yellow version of the Lady Banks rose. Small buttery yellow blooms cover this rampant climber in early spring. With thornless foliage that is evergreen in mild climates, this rose is great for... read more

On Jun 25, 2006, keyi from Yukon, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

I started with a small potted plant about 3 feet tall. I have to cut back tons each year to keep it from taking over the house. It grows into the eaves and through microscopic gaps around windows.
I am still giving it a positive, because it's not its fault I planted it next to the house. If it were planted on a gazebo or along a fence it would be awesome. It covers itself with fist sized clusters of little blooms in spring, that do have a mild aroma in my garden. The show lasts about 3 weeks, then you just get leaves the rest of the year. It stayed green all year the first 3 years, then lost all it's leaves this year (the mildest winter-go figure). The trimmed branches make great stakes for other plants.

On Mar 27, 2006, quilt from Olive Branch, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

I too fell in love this plant when visiting my sister in Austin, TX 6 years ago in the spring. She has the white one's growing down the side of her house on a wood fence and they are beautiful. I came home to MS right outside of Memphis and started looking for one and last year found a yellow one and planted it and had beautiful blooms my first spring. Mine is planted on a trellis behind my brick mailbox and it is already over the mailbox and framing it. We had people stopping and asking "what is that plant"----We have had weather below 15 and covered with ice and snow this past winter and mine stayed green and is loaded with blooms (Mar. 27) and ready to put on a show. All we have done is give it a little food and made sure it was well mulched. My husband did prune it after it bloom... read more

On Apr 1, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I interplanted my yellow Lady Banks rose with Cherokee Rose, which has a similar rambling growth habit that can also reach great heighths (to the tops of trees in my area in NE Fla). The two roses bloom about the same time. It is a very effective display with the combination of the small, "fluffy" yellow Lady Banks with the large, flat blooms of the Cherokee Rose.

On Mar 13, 2005, cheryldawn from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I read about this rose and really wanted one. So I did what what was advised against. Planted a yellow lady banks rose shrub today in a smallish area in my medium sized yard. It's just a little 2 foot bare root one right now. We might be buying five acres soon however and would transplant it or take cuttings from it.

On Feb 28, 2005, momomomo from Washington, TX wrote:

This is one of those rare plants that will do and can do anything you ask of it. It is very forgiving of mistakes, and if left alone with plenty of room, will be the highlight of your yard. We live in the country and my Lady Banks has the run of several trees and the space in between, and though I live 1/2 mile off the main highway, many people hunt us down to find out what kind of glorious "trees" we have that have such wondrous blooms. Get one and let it go (grow). You will never be sorry! Lady Banks is the Grand Dame of the Garden!

On May 30, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I have the best of this plant. The house across the street has a splendid one over their carport. I can enjoy it in season and ignore it the rest of the time. However it is so beautiful when in flower, that if my neighbour ever removed his I'd have to find the space for it.

On May 5, 2004, Ginann from Memphis, TN wrote:

I first saw a yellow Lady Banks Rose(many, as a matter of fact) when they were in full bloom in Jackson, MS---Of course, I "had to have one" although I've never grown roses in my 66 years! Friends who did were always having to spray, fertilize and prune----too much trouble for a busy lady. After selecting a very small one at a reputable nursery, I couldn't wait to get home (Memphis) and plant it......even though I was told----"it will never grow that far north (200 miles)". When I planted it with no special prep work to the soil (west side), I NEVER expected that it would be so beautiful. Located on a brick wall to the house facing west, it is now about 7 feet tall with branches extended out into my back yard. Each year when it presents the tiny roses I mark my calender so I'll know ... read more

On May 4, 2004, maryq from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I inherited my Lady Banks when we bought the house. It is about 50 years old, and grows intertwined with wisteria on a pergola on the east side of the house. Whatever the original planters did, they did it right, because the pair of plants bloom simultanously and people come down the alley just to stare into our back yard.

We are currently in a drought, as we were in 1950 when the pergola was built. Rose and wisteria seem to be thriving, despite a 5 year gap when no one took care of anything and the remainder of the yard died (we're gradually getting it back through drip irrigation and careful replacement).

Both plants are huge - the rose's main stem is about 4" in diameter - and I suspect a little pruning would benefit both the plants and the pergola. If any... read more

On Apr 27, 2004, dio13 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I saw all these entries in the south and california for Lady Banks rose and wanted to add my comments. I live in Seattle Washington and my Lady Banks rose is HUGE, even though it is only 4 years old now.

Its roots are in a protected corner of the yard and though it does lose its leaves in the winter (the lime green canes look great in a stark kind of way), come March they all come back again. It is now April and I have rafts of double yellow flowers. I was told it was scentless, but there is a faint sweet smell around its trellis, especially on warm evenings.

It survived a 18 degree cold snap this winter and was also covered in snow - it has responded by climbing over the carport.

On Mar 31, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have always had a Lady Banks rose where ever I lived, wonderful bloom that covers one of our buildings.

"In Search of Lost Roses" by Thomas Christopher has the following tale:
Mary Gee was a new bride in 1884 when her husband Henry moved from Scotland to Tombstone to supervise his company's mining interest. The young woman followed but she missed the cool, lush greenery of home. So she wrote to her parents for cuttings of the old white rose that grew in their garden. When the bits of rooted cane arrived in 1885, Mary planted one behind "Cochise House," the adobe boarding house where she and her husband had first stayed when they came to Tombstone. The American Rose Annual reported that this rose's trunk had reached a girth of ninety-five inches. Ripley's Believe It... read more

On Dec 31, 2003, docaly from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I planted this in my New Mexico xeriscape garden and trained it to grow up and over a pergola for a soft, cascading cover. This perennial is hardy in Zone 7. I did annual pruning and minimal care and fertilizing in Spring. Set on a twice-weekly drip (deep) watering cycle, it is very drought-tolerant, profuse with blooms for about 4 weeks and has a lovely scent. It can get away from you if not trained and somewhat constrained. It's important to plant in the right setting where there is plenty of room to spread out, such as an archway or along a wall or fence, and where it has plenty of sun. Mine was located on the southeast side where it got sufficient light, although my neighbor also had one planted on his east fence which was partly shaded, and it, too, was a profuse bloomer. Perhaps it... read more

On Sep 8, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I'm familiar with this rose from my childhood on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and am considering planting it here in my northcentral Florida garden, (USDA Zone 8b). From my research, the folks at the Antique Rose Emporium in Texas indicated there are two colors, yellow ('Lutea') and white ('Alba Plena')

Rosa banksiae is a climber, eventually growing to about 20 feet tall, and is very long lived. It was named in honor of the wife of the "gifted amateur rosarian, Sir Joseph Banks", it has been known since 1807, has a lovely fragrance, kind of like violets. It's thornless, has no serious disease or insect problems.
Blooms massively in Spring with small, one inch flowers for up to six weeks. Not very hardy, use in zones 8 to 9 only, as may die below 15F degre... read more

On Sep 8, 2003, plantzperson from Zachary, LA wrote:

Here in south Louisiana, it grows very rampantly and needs a very large area to grow in to show to its best advantage.

Blooms here in early March and mine are always loaded down with lovely yellow blooms that have a faint, delicate scent. Prune immeadiately after flowers fall, later pruning will sacrifice next spring's flowers. But I have to continually prune some of the long green shooting spears cause they grow out over my driveway and interfere with the traffic. It looks wonderful grown up into a tree and many times down here it is planted in the middle of several tall posts or pipes, then trained up tall and then allowed to spill out and downward; that is when it looks the best. Very easy to root cuttings.

On Sep 7, 2003, pollybee from Spring, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have two Lady Banks Roses: one white, one yellow - planted together and they bloom beautifully (and fragrantly!) in the spring. It took them a few years, though - I had almost given up on them.

It is definitely NOT a rose for a formal garden. My only problem with this type of rose is knowing how and when to prune to control the rampant growth. I once pruned at just the wrong time and never saw a bloom that year, so be careful not to make that mistake.

On Feb 17, 2003, dena365 wrote:

I've had a Lady Banks rose for about four years now. It will grow like crazy but has never made one flower EVER. This plant will grow taller then my house but that's all.

On Sep 1, 2002, Azalea from Jonesboro, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Pretty pale yellow 1" blooms in spring. This plant should really be considered a climber, it has rose type leaves but no thorns or fragrence. The blooms do not have typical rose petals and blooms only for a couple of weeks in spring.