PlantFiles: Japanese Morning Glory
Ipomoea nil 'Double Blue Picotee'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: nil (nil) (Info)
Cultivar: Double Blue Picotee

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Blue-Violet

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Thumbnail #1 of Ipomoea nil by Crimson

By PVick
Thumbnail #7 of Ipomoea nil by PVick

Neutral nishabindu On Nov 21, 2012, nishabindu from Trichy
India wrote:

I planted morning glory...soaked seed overnight...and then sowed em...seedling came out in 3 days...bit now they wont grow beyond that..their stem r long and have ony two small leaves...thy grow beyond thaydopls help...

Positive Taranado On Apr 19, 2008, Taranado from Milan, IL wrote:

I grow these as an annual by seed. You have to soak the seeds for 24 hours before planting them, that breaks the seed pod that the actual seed is encased in. After 3 years I notice it does get bigger, I take seeds off of my own plant and every year the number of seeds has steadily increased. Also the double blooms (mostly single blooms the first year) become more pronounced. It just takes time to establish.

Negative romandoguinn On Nov 30, 2006, romandoguinn from Albany, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I was really quite unimpressed with these; maybe I just had a bad batch of these or something. I got them in a trade; maybe they weren't labeled correctly, but they said 'double blue picotee'. I planted them, and waited and waited and waited (you get the picture) and finally, like 5 months later, when I'd forgotten I'd planted them, I noticed these weird purplish blue things in one of my containers. I thought it was a piece of paper or something...The plants had finally sprouted, but never vined out at all, and were blooming on tiny 3" tall bushes. They're definately morning glories allright, but the whole plant was honestly about the size of a bedding pansy. Like from a six pack. Don't get me wrong, I love morning glories, and will grow them again, just not this variety. I must say, though, that the flowers actually did look like the ones pictured above, but were about the size of a golf ball. Not big like many other types of morning glories.

Positive Texasbloomer On Sep 18, 2005, Texasbloomer from Plano, TX wrote:

Love this little glory; mine's in a pot [since June]. sun and shade. But very few flowers grow. Maybe 2-4 at a time and not daily. But this was the first yr. I had luck w/them and will hopefully grow them next year too! Love the color!

Positive QueenB On Jul 5, 2005, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My seeds sprouted very quickly, although they haven't grown as fast as some others. The vines are more delicate, but still just as hardy as other JMG types. The vine readily branches out and produces flowers willingly, mostly in doubles, but occasional singles do occur. This particular morning glory does better when planted in partial shade.

Neutral Crimson On Sep 1, 2002, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Not the common heart shaped Morning Glory type foliage, forked like Japanese MG... Perhaps it is a Japanese type. Commercial packaged seeds... not very good germination. Thinner vine than common MG. Some vines varagated leaf, others not... both flowers the same. Can not compete with other MG, quickly swallowed up. Inspite of the name "Double Blue Picotee" the flowers are often not double, and sometimes the double is on the same vine as the singles.

Elk Grove, California