Gold Moss Sedum, Golden Carpet Stonecrop

Sedum acre

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) (Info)
Species: acre (AK-ree) (Info)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Shelton, Washington

Peterstown, West Virginia

Lake Delton, Wisconsin

On Mar 8, 2014, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

I know this plant as "Rock Rope" Sedum. I also grow a slightly different Sedum that I thought was called Gold Moss Sedum, but judging from these photos, it seems I am incorrect and my "Rock Rope" is really "Gold Moss". A neighbor gave me my first pieces of this small scale plant. He found it thriving in the corner of some stone steps with nearly no soil to support it. I placed it in a sloped rock garden. With excessive rainfall, it suffers, but usually revives itself. I have used it in Strawberry Jars with great success. I have shared it with other gardeners who were searching for something to stuff in the crevices of stacked stone walls.

On Aug 7, 2013, 01zingara from Ashburn, VA wrote:

I have 6 of these plants, each in their own pot. After trying for years to get plants that can stay outside in pots during (VA) winter, don't need watering every other day in summer, and can stand the strong, direct sun my deck gets all afternoon without burning up and dying: I found this "little" gem! This is my 4th summer with these plants, and every spring they begin to come back a nice vibrant green that lasts well into fall. I plan on getting at least 4 more of these plants...to be used in a couple hanging pots, as well. They have a lovely full, round shape, and they have a really nice "over-hang" when potted. My mother even wants a couple for potting at her PA home, after she's seen mine come back year after year, adding so much beautiful green to my deck!

On Apr 6, 2012, Softwine from Lexington, KY wrote:

Planted several pots of "mixed stonecrop" last year. This year found out this Gold Moss Sedum obviously is the most invasive one. It just took out all the space it could take and left no much room for other sedum to develop. It took me many hours to pull several buckets of this plant out. I know it will be a long term battle as those little needles that I dropped everywhere by accident will eventually grow into many other big ones.
If you just want to use it to cover a large area without worrying about watering them. I think it will do its job. But if you try to confine them in a small place, you need to spend a lot of time pulling unwanted ones.

On Jun 14, 2009, DMersh from Perth
United Kingdom (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is known as Biting Stonecrop in the UK, is fairly uncommon here, perhaps as its adapted to dry, infertile ground it tends to get outcompeted by other plants. Grows on or near beaches, is a very striking plant when in flower due to the intensely vivid yellow colour of the flowers.

On Mar 25, 2009, GardeningGrammy from Louisville, KY wrote:

This was in my yard when I moved in four years ago. It is still there and very invasive. I've tired digging and pulling. If a tiny bit drops it takes root and quickly spreads. I would really like to have it gone.

On Oct 15, 2008, tcs1366 from Leesburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I've had this plant at my current residence for about 6 yrs now, and it does spread, it is not quite a nuisance. At home I do have it in full sun. It gets mowed over, weed whacked - and always grows back, and then some. Two years ago, I took some up to Wisconsin, where i have dappled shade and sandy soil. It does grow, but does not do as well as full sun.

On May 27, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This little plant that have scales - like leaves survive many winters for me compare to some other sedums - I have at least four others that have lived through the winter - clearly it is invasive in areas where there is low plant competition like dry areas, true alpine, near the ocean, etc. It won't be invasive in areas where high plant competition exists - if you just leave the area to the weeds for a few years in wetter locations, they will be wiped out by the much taller weeds easily. Otherwise they are nice for alpine gardens and container gardens in zone 3b to 7 (I don't think zone 2 to 3a is good because of less plant competition and more exposed rocky areas as this may increase it invasiveness) is when it is a struggle to grow other alpine plants like too much water, shade, hot su... read more

On Apr 3, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A very tiny, delicate looking sedum that, as yet, has not been invasive for me. In fact, I lost it in some areas.

On Feb 20, 2006, coastalplants from Port Townsend, WA wrote:

Sedum acre is aggressivly invading coastal strand plant communities in Washington State. It displaces moss crusts and native species such as Lomatium nudicaule and Artemesia campestris. A community effort to remove Sedum acre from Point Wilson at Fort Worden State Park is looking for more information on erradication techniques.

On Jul 4, 2005, mountngrower from Valemount, BC (Zone 2b) wrote:

This plant is terribly invasive, cold hardy, and impossible to control even in Zone 2b! There is no organic control for it. DO NOT PLANT IT OR SHARE IT WITH NEIGHBOURS! It quicky becomes a weed even here in central and northern British Columbia (on the semi-arid, thin, sandy soil of mountain plateaus) where it has spread from a single source in town (15 years ago) to the point where you see it everywhere now. Roundup (glycosphate) does not kill it. In the high altitude, cool climate here of sub-alpine and montane forest it invades lawns, gardens, and roadsides. It has even migrated onto remote, high basaltic (volcanic) rock outcroppings in Wells Gray Provincial Park near Clearwater. It may prove to be as invalsive as knapweed! I have tried turning the soil to bury it, but even t... read more

On Mar 15, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

This sedum is very usefull as a roof cover..it makes a nice tapestry on very dull roofs. It needs nearly no soil to grow and can stand extreme conditions...it spreads easy.
It grows on the roof of my garden shed together with other sedums.

On Jul 5, 2004, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

I love this plant and have not found it to be invasive here in North Dakota. The plant does get a little larger around each year, but not enough to cause problems.

On Jun 19, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

There's hardly a plant I can't live with, and invasive is good in my poor soil, but this one comes close to being horrible! It spreads everywhere in just one season, breaks off just a little too easily to rip it out by the handfulls, and it needs to be trimmed off after blooming or it looks yukky. Very nice through June, and then it can get ugly. It you really want to plant it, use it where you can mow off the tops when it's done blooming. It hoping to contain it to a few sections of the rock garden, but that may be hopeless.

On May 13, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this little plant it's so lush and carpety and the flowers are very nice..... no maintenance needed at all and will spread when happy...... it's not a nusiance though as it doesn't spread as from seeds...... it spreads by roots but not ridiculously..... it's easily contained and easily ripped out by shallow roots........

On Jan 21, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great, little sedum for poor, dry soils where little else will grow. It's extremely drought tolerent and does well creeping amongst stones, along path edges, and in between pavers. It will even handle a small amount of foot traffic. The stems that break off will re-root and grow into new plants were ever they lay on the soil. The tiny, bright-yellow flowers are extra bonus for such a tough and hardy plant.