Lantana
Lantana camara 'Dallas Red'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lantana (lan-TAN-a) (Info)
Species: camara (kuh-MAR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dallas Red

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

Glendale, Arizona

Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Flowood, Mississippi

Mathiston, Mississippi

Saucier, Mississippi

Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)

Albuquerque, New Mexico

New Braunfels, Texas

Orange, Texas

Portland, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

Santa Fe, Texas

Sealy, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

The Colony, Texas

Victoria, Texas

negative

On Sep 13, 2012, MomOfBrock from Houston, TX wrote:

Hummers in Houston love this plant. I have several in my yard and the hummers swoop between it, my Pride of Parbados and the feeders.

On Apr 3, 2012, TRUNK from North Andrews Gardens, FL wrote:

LANTANA Depressa, is the only lantana that should be grown in florida. "especially south florida.

The other lantanas are starving native butterflies and birds and destroying the ntive habitats in Florida.

Home depot and Lowes and other gardens center sell the the invasive lantans because eveyone is buying the pretty non-natives.

Florida Lantanas ( L. depressa ) are just as beautiful and do more good than harm.

On Oct 31, 2011, slr2850 from Anaheim, CA wrote:

I grew up in Southern California and use to walk through fields of lantana on my way to school. We have a lot of sun and mild winters which is ideal because it loves the heat and survives practically anything. Just be sure to trim it well or it gets very leggy. I like the purple flowered lantana best.

On Jul 2, 2011, ifantail from Englewood, FL wrote:

I understand the berries of this plant are very poisonous, so watch the kiddies. It grows wild in my yard in Englewood Fl.

On Feb 17, 2011, mslehv from Columbus, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

We've been propogating them rather easily from leaf cuttings.

On Mar 10, 2010, lantanalane from Kingsville, TX wrote:

I need help. I live in South Texas and my plant did not even last 2 month before something ate it and two others doewn to the ground. I don't like to use a lot of pesticide nand have just bought some more. What could be doing this and would a homemade soap based pesticied work?

On May 26, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Love it! Love all the different colors!

This is an annual for me.

On Aug 3, 2006, hedgwytch from Tulsa, OK wrote:

This has been a reliable perennial for me here on the edge of 6b/7a. I comes back every year bigger and better. Easy to keep under control here. It adds a great splash of color and spills over the edges of the beds.

On May 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Does rather well for me and has been a dependable returner for several years in my 8a climate.

On May 23, 2005, pclay from Orange, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

I absolutely love Lantana, all sizes, colors, etc. I plant all that I can find. It does well in southeast Texas, Orange to be exact.

On Sep 20, 2004, sueallison from Rising Sun, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this plant. In zone 6, we have to grow it as an annual. I planted some in June, and now they are each about 3 1/2 feet tall and wide. I'm going to get more next year.

On Sep 18, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

i absolutely love this one, the colors are so deep! Fertilizer will reduce bloom. I have it mixed in with my Gold mound and Radiation.

On Aug 25, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, TX
Love the plant and like its odor. PLEASE NOTE: ALL PARTS of this plant are POISONOUS if eaten and can be FATAL. This plant causes dermatitis in some individuals (For example:Me!). Be sure to wash your hands (arms and/or other body parts if applicable) after handling.

On Jun 24, 2003, thebutcherswife from Tallmadge, OH wrote:

A customer behind me in line at the nursery said to break off a piece and stick in the ground! Obviously, this plant spreads well, but in zone 5, that won't last through the winter for me. :(

On Mar 5, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

I love my lantana... I live in northern florida and kept one plant inside and it did well; however, I found that it now has these white bugs that is eating the leaves and that makes me upset!!!!!!!! The plant is about to bloom (flower) and we are in the first week of March!! --- I still need to know what I can do about those white bugs,,,,,,,

ranchat45@aol.com

On Oct 19, 2002, whitebear from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I have quite a bit of Lantana growing in my yard in Pensacola, Florida, were a bit 9 and a bit 8, were sort of between zones. I have found that, in addition to orange and yellow,I also get purple, blue and white speckeles in my blooms (this might be due to the more acidic soil). Here, It seems almost weedy if you don't trim it. Like many old world varieties, it needs to be trained and trimmed in order to keep it from taking over but it can be trained into shrubs or trees in warmer zones. If you are in a tropical or subtropical climate, cut the blooms before they fruit or you will have prodigious results.