Tomato 'Abraham Lincoln'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Abraham Lincoln
Additional cultivar information:(aka Abe Lincoln)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Dayton, Washington

Ashton, West Virginia

Fairmont, West Virginia

On Sep 1, 2012, tomatolarry from Dalton, GA wrote:

2012 was the second time I have planted this variety and as before, I was not overly thrilled with the results. The two I planted produced a decent amount of fruit, but the taste was just average and the plants seemed to be quite vulnerable to early blight.

On Jul 31, 2012, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

The flavor was good from the few tomatoes that ripened without rotting. The plants were beautiful, the fruit were susceptible to rot, not BER, just rot from anything touching them.

On Sep 18, 2011, WilliamClark from Albany, GA wrote:

Loved the taste. One problem. Trying to save seeds and can hardly see them. Are they as small as they appear? If so, I have never seen any seed this small. My one test plant is over 8ft tall, was planted late with almost no friuit production. Zone8-9 and very hot. The plant now has flowers but no late fruit set. Are the seeds as small as the ones in my fruit?

On Feb 19, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grew this tomato from a start a bought at Orchard Supply. It produced an abundance of medium to large tomatoes over a long season. The fruit has the classic tomato taste of most open pollinated beefsteak types.

On Aug 5, 2008, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Abe Lincoln is the variety my grandpa grew for markets in the early 1950's. I grew it for the first time this year and it was what I remembered - round, red, productive, and with good tomato flavor. It was one of the first varieties in my garden to finally have ripe tomatoes in this wet, rainy, late year.

On Oct 15, 2007, dleland from Whitmore Lake, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

First time growing Abe Lincoln. A little slow getting started, but came on like gang busters... right up to the freeze. First time growing heirloom tomatoes, saved lots of seed and will start early and grow again. Flavor is wonderful, not to tart and not to sweet. Makes great juice for canning. You've got to try this tomato!!

On Jun 5, 2006, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Had that good "old fashioned" taste and very productive.

On Dec 19, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Just a great all around main cropper. Great taste, good canner or juicer, will grow again.

On Sep 29, 2004, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a pretty round red clear skined crack free tomato as prolific as it is pretty . Abes looks are overshadowed by its sweet juciy taste . This is the first year growing these and I will grow them many years to come. This tomato humbles Better Boy in taste and I had several that were almost as big.

On Sep 5, 2002, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This was the first year I've grown Abe Lincoln. There is no doubt I'll grow them for years to come. Excellent flavor, excellent meat-to-juice ratio! Wonderful blend of mild "tomato sugar" (not sweet as in cane sugar) accented with the perfect amount of acid. Written up in literature as being "disease resistant".

An American heirloom dating back to 1923.