PlantFiles: Mustard Greens, Oriental
Brassica juncea 'Mizuna'

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: juncea (JUN-kee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mizuna
Additional cultivar information: (aka Kyona)

Vegetables

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Thumbnail #1 of Brassica juncea by Weezingreens

Thumbnail #2 of Brassica juncea by Weezingreens

Thumbnail #3 of Brassica juncea by Weezingreens

Positive angelam On May 30, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I only attempted to grow this in my Zone 10 garden in Summer once. It ran immediately to seed. However when I plant it in mid-Autumn it lasts well into the following Spring. The leaves are great in salads,stir fries and curries. It is cut-and -come -again and very vigorous. A great Winter plant.

Positive TamTam On Jul 30, 2003, TamTam from Blue Springs, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Oh my goodness, today I decided to collect some seeds from my mustard (seeds were from Weezingreens - thankee ma'am!) and while in the process I must have rubbed my thumb and first finger on the corners of my mouth - mild burning sensation at first that got worse and lasted for hours!!! Next time I'll wear gloves!! I still say this is a positive note, tho, cuz it COULD have been my eyes I rubbed!!! :)

Positive Weezingreens On Sep 5, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Mizuna is a cut & come oriental green that can last a season in mild climates by cutting the outer leaves and allowing the plant to grow. However, in hot weather it will tend to bolt into flower. The white stems bear dark lacy leaves that have a mild, sweet flavor, whether used in salad or stir-fried.

After this plant flowers, as with all mustards, it will create small seed pods. Seed can be collected from these pods if they are allowed to dry on the plant. Be aware that proximity to other mustards may result in cross pollination, and the collected seed may vary from the parent plant.

Blue Springs, Missouri