Shampoo Ginger, Pinecone Ginger, Pinecone Lily, Pine Cone Ginger, Pine Cone Lily
Zingiber zerumbet

Family: Zingiberaceae
Genus: Zingiber (zing-ee-ber) (Info)
Species: zerumbet (ZER-um-bet) (Info)

Coral/Apricot

Aromatic

Anniston, Alabama

Midland City, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)

Newport Beach, California

Apopka, Florida

Bartow, Florida (2 reports)

Bonita Springs, Florida

Bradenton, Florida

Brooksville, Florida (2 reports)

Crawfordville, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Deland, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Floral City, Florida

Green Cove Springs, Florida

Hampton, Florida

Havana, Florida

Homosassa, Florida

Hudson, Florida

Inverness, Florida (3 reports)

Jacksonville, Florida (4 reports)

Jupiter, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Lake Panasoffkee, Florida

Lakeland, Florida

Leesburg, Florida

Lithia, Florida

Longwood, Florida

Lutz, Florida (2 reports)

Macclenny, Florida

Melbourne, Florida

Milton, Florida

Niceville, Florida

North Miami Beach, Florida

North Port, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Ormond Beach, Florida

Oxford, Florida

Pensacola, Florida (4 reports)

Plant City, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Rockledge, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sanford, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (3 reports)

Satellite Beach, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Tallahassee, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Trenton, Florida

Winter Haven, Florida

Winter Park, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida (3 reports)

Albany, Georgia

Desoto, Texas

Friendswood, Texas

San Marcos, Texas

On Jul 5, 2014, juliefrdmn from Golden Beach, FL wrote:

My Shampoo Ginger comes out of the ground every April and by July I have beautiful red flower cones. It disappears again each winter. It requires almost no maintenance and does not have any problems with insects or pests. I grow it in partial shade. It gives your garden a very tropical feel. By Gregg L. Friedman MD

On May 14, 2014, TCTerrariums from Port Orange, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Grows very well under the heavy shade of my large sweet gum trees. Very low maintenance. Spreads rapidly but it's not particularly aggressive.

Makes an impressive display in late summer when the cones come up. The cones are excellent for flower arrangements. The plant does go dormant during winter and dies back to the ground but will come back again in the spring. The rhizomes are large and easy to find at this time if you wish to dig some up and replant a few elsewhere.

On Dec 18, 2010, tchb from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

Super duper easy to grow. And once established from one corm that looks and tastes just like the ones in the stores, it will spread. Any part of a corm with roots will start a new plant. Great in oak hammocks and rough areas that defy mowing or get bush whacked just once a year.

Here in central Florida the new leaves erupt in late April and reach full height by June. The "pinecones" emerge as green nubs in July and grow to size by September. As they start to turn red, small, yellow blooms appear. A gentle squeeze on a cone will coat your hand with a delightfully scented ginger aroma that evaporates cleanly and leaves no after scent. The plant dies off to the ground in December allowing you to mow, rake, and plant winter flowers in their place.

On Oct 29, 2010, smurfwv from Cabin Creek, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

I just recently bought this plant, the roots must be babies as they are as big as my little finger, can someone tell me when shampoo ginger will bloom? I have the butterfly ginger and it bloomed the 2nd year from a baby rhizome.

On Sep 4, 2010, forgottenfl from Crawfordville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is an absolute dream. We live in a hardwood hammock environment and it weathers everything! It is planted in various areas to include foundation (receiving wettings from the roof) and also out on the property. It does well whereever I plant it and I love it. I'll have to try it out as shampoo, I knew of "shampoo ginger" but I didn't think "mine" was one in the same. I can def. see that now because when I gather the remains of the red pinecones in late fall/early winter the blooms seem sudsy.

On Jun 17, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

One of my favorite gingers, I grow it with other gingers near the spring in my backyard where they get filtered sunlight. Because the ground is moist, it does great. Also had success growing it in drier parts of the yard, but like many gingers, it does well with moist feet. The 'Pinecones' it produces can be squeezed to produce a liquid which makes great hand lotion.

On Nov 12, 2009, gerrydave from Semmes, AL wrote:

my pinecone ginger is in full shade and requires absolutely no care. the plants double each year,so be careful where you plant it. It is a very pretty plant.The cone looks solid, but when you squeeze it, it is very soft and the "shampoo" oozes out of it.Lots of luck with yours
Dave.

On Jul 29, 2006, fordford from Mount Pleasant, SC wrote:

I have this plant in my back yard. It gets some shade but lots of sun. I transplanted it from my parents in Florida and it took it about 2 years to establish and bloom. Last year I had 2 blooms this year 8 or 9 so far.

On Apr 25, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine are planted along the house in part sun. I think the more shade the better they prefer. I pretty much neglect them and they grow beautifully. They can tolerate flooding and mine bloomed last fall. I never knew they could be used as a shampoo alternative but I'll be sure to try that when they bloom again! Thanks!

On Jul 21, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We have had a lot of success with this plant. The only thing is....plant it away from other things and where you don't mind it taking over as it will spread to a much larger patch than anticipated.

The locals taught us how to use it as an alternate shampoo cleanser. Cut the bulb part or bloom head off and sort of squish it on your head as you lather up. Leaves your hair clean, shinny and silky looking.