PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Green Grape'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Grape

By MikeyJoe
Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by MikeyJoe

By compostuser
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by compostuser

Positive PerennialConnection On Aug 31, 2013, PerennialConnection from Albion, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have this growing in 2 different situations. Both are healthy, strong growing plants that are yielding copiously.

-- Heavy Yields
-- Fruit size averages 1.5" diameter
-- Color is muted yellow skin with ELECTRIC green flesh & jell
-- Flavor: I get a *ZinG* of excitement every time I pop one in my mouth. There is something like fresh bright oranges or pineapple as the tomato explodes for the first time in my mouth. It is brief and exciting every time. The follow-up flavor is citrusy, tangy and medium sweet.
-- Juicy interior
-- Moderately thick skin.

I am hooked on this one. It is like lemon/lime skittles....The name is a little misleading though. I assumed that I would be harvesting these while the skin was green, which is not the case. Leave them on the vine until they fall off at a gentle touch....the skin should be a muted yellow color.

I have one growing in the ground and another growing in a container tomato program in my nursery. Both are producing very well.

Positive compostuser On Sep 20, 2011, compostuser from Bremerton, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This tomato is one variety I will continue to grow in my garden.

Positive BR_in_VA On Aug 3, 2009, BR_in_VA from Brandy Station, VA wrote:

I picked my first green grape tomato today. It was yellowish green and bright green inside. It had a sweet and tangy taste which I am looking forward to in salads. The plant is very bushy and about 3 feet tall. I caged it so it's kind of hard to spot the tomatoes unfortunately. I had to add another piece of caging and widen the plant for a better view of the inside. It looks like it will be a couple weeks before the first big batch starts turning. Then let the salsa making begin!

Positive FreddieAnn On Feb 17, 2009, FreddieAnn from Vernon, B.C.

One of the best things about this tomato is the brilliant green colour once sliced open. The exterior is a dull green/yellow, but the interior is brilliant which makes it really stand out beautifully in a salad. It's flavour is quite remarkable too, different but delicious. I grow it every year.

Positive Joan On Oct 5, 2008, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

We ended up with one plant this year as a result of a mistake on an order. It was supposed to be 'Grape', but this variety was sent instead. I have to say that because of this mistake, we will probably grow it every year. It has a wonderful flavor that you wouldn't expect when you first bite into it.

It wasn't especially prolific, but we had such a dry year that it might not be the plants fault.

Positive DonShirer On Aug 31, 2008, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

This produced fairly well despite a lot of shade in my garden. I thought the taste was ok but not exceptional. I normally give away a lot of tomatoes to friends, but I had a hard time selling them a yellowish green 1.5 inch tomato until they tried one.

Positive JewelB On May 27, 2007, JewelB from Sagle, ID wrote:

This is one of my favorite tomatoes and grows well here in northern Idaho. I agree with the writer who reported that they start green and turn yellow-never red. They are best when the green is just starting to get a few streaks of yellow but still mostly green. Wonderful just picked in salads.

Positive MikeyJoe On Sep 10, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

A very good flavor for a cherry. Yellowish-green with darker shoulders, compares in size to Large Red Cherry.

Someone else mentioned that theirs starts green and then turns red, I would wager that they are growing something that is not Green Grape. They should start as dull green and then get the yellowish color as they ripen and that is the end of the process. I have seen several that have rotted on the vine and there was no red involved at all.

Positive Suze_ On Jun 4, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Nice 'spicy-sweet' flavor when ripe. On the large side for a cherry type. Vigorous, lanky, gangly foliage.

Positive hanna1 On Aug 31, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Matures: 60 days. Looks very much like a a grapevine, 3/4" fruit starts green but does turn red. Very good flavor.

Neutral FCivish On Aug 15, 2003, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

Reported to have excellent flavor. So far I would rate flavor more average, but interesting.

Bishop, California