PlantFiles: Weeping Redbud, Eastern Redbud, Canadian Redbud, Judas Tree
Cercis canadensis 'Lavender Twist'

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cercis (SER-sis) (Info)
Species: canadensis (ka-na-DEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Lavender Twist
Additional cultivar information: (PP10328; aka Covey, Lavender Twist, Lavender Twist)
Hybridized by Covey; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1998

By nifty413
Thumbnail #5 of Cercis canadensis by nifty413

Thumbnail #6 of Cercis canadensis by Mary1NYS

Thumbnail #7 of Cercis canadensis by Mary1NYS

Positive RosemaryK On Aug 29, 2013, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Did anyone mention that the leaves are huge, although the classic heart shape of a redbud? I am treating mine as an edge- of- forest tree at the bottom of a hill, in hopes it is sheltered enough from the wind to survive winter. Now all the JMs nearby will have to be uprights in order to look good.

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Dec 9, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Not too much to say other than , carefree . Looks healthy in Texas heat and drought and just stays green until fall . the pea like blooms and weeping habit make it a lovely specimen in a flower bed . This tree/shrub is minimal in its needs and happy almost anywhere . Mine is only 8 feet tall and I assume it is done growing . No fuss No frills just an all around great garden plant .

Positive Ginda On Jun 25, 2011, Ginda from WELLESLEY HILLS, MA wrote:

I planted a baby Lavender Twist in the fall of 2009, in light dappled shade (under oaks) next to a patio at the top of a slope. Eastern MA, zone 6. It was just a single stemmed, one-year-old sprout. I am training it to a stake to get some height before letting it go.

It has grown like gangbusters. It put on more than two feet of (staked) upward growth last year, and grew many side branches. This spring it has already put on more than two feet of growth and has gotten quite full. I have been re-staking the leader every week or two, and it is now tall enough that I need a step-stool to reach the leader. I plan to prune the lower side branches heavily next spring, unless I learn there's a better time to prune it.

It has not yet flowered, but I have other redbuds and they took a few years to mature enough to flower.

Neutral Mocknbird2 On Apr 28, 2011, Mocknbird2 from Olympia, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought a new home last spring. There is a beautiful weeping redbud blooming in the front yard. Well, this specimen is tiny and sparse, but the flowers (what few there are) are quite pretty. The previous owner said she couldn't get it to grow and I haven't had much luck either. It's about 3 ft high, with only 4 branches producing blooms and about 8 small branches total. I'm in Olympia WA.
Any ideas on how to get it to grow and thicken up? I'm really new to gardening.

Positive Heartwing On Feb 24, 2011, Heartwing from Lincoln, CA wrote:

I ran across a Lavendar Twist while shopping online and fell in love! I live in Northern California and shopped around locally until I found one about 50 miles from my house ('cause I wanted one NOW). I went to pick it up and found a pathetic, half dead specimen. I felt so sorry for it that I bought it regardless of it's sad state and price ($80). I really should have demanded that the nursery lower the price, since they didn't offer...but eh, I just wasn't in the mood to argue. I took it home, nurtured it and it has rewarded me with a full recovery! It's about a year old and around 5 feet tall. I'm crazy about this wonderful tree and hope that it will continue to live a healthy life.

Positive DebbieCrews On Jan 21, 2010, DebbieCrews from Keyes, OK wrote:

Planted weeping redbud about 3 years ago. Beautiful little tree. Needs no special attention - just an occasional pruning to get rid of wild branches. I would recommend planting it where it will get protection from hot, dry winds.

Positive WigglyPaw On Oct 29, 2007, WigglyPaw from Hastings, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

i found this beauty at underwoods nursery and on the way home we
cruised through MSU hidden lake gardens, 800 acre classroom
for horticultural students. we had stopped for a brief excursion
into the gift shop, and i was stopped by an acer jap. 'full moon'
about 20' high just outside the building and on the way back to
the car i absently gazed over a small planting of cercis. i looked
again and walked over to confirm,here was a twin of my 'covey'
lying in the back of our p/u truck. i called msu today and sure
emough, they had purchased theirs from underwoods also.

my understanding from speaking w/ them at msu was to
expect edge of forest tree, sun, wind protected slow growth
20' high by 12'-15' width, so my planting it will be
according to their specs.

underwoods has one left.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 18, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Cercis canadensis 'Covey'('Pendula' LAVNDR TWIST WPNG REDB Dec (z6)
Very Rare & Very delightful, this 8-12' accent tree offers pretty soft-pink spring flowers & heart-shaped leaves (yel.in fall) on graceful branches which spread horizontally before drooping at the tip. S-PSh/M PP# 10328

Positive indiana_lily On Jul 26, 2006, indiana_lily from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

If you like weeping trees, this is simply gorgeous in the spring. Only grows to be 8 feet tall. If errant branches occur, they must be cut in order to keep their weeping shape. Perfect for planting next to houses, focal point for a garden, etc.

Positive lupinelover On Jan 10, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

A beautiful cultivar, this does not come true from seed.

Washington D.c.,