Lithodora
Lithodora diffusa 'Heavenly Blue'

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Lithodora (lith-oh-DOR-uh) (Info)
Species: diffusa (dy-FEW-sa) (Info)
Cultivar: Heavenly Blue

Moclips, Washington

Port Townsend, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Apr 5, 2015, 1077011947 from Greer, SC wrote:

I am growing Lithodora diffusa here in the Upstate of SC in my Xeric garden along with several species of delospermas and other succulents. It blooms continuously all spring and summer. Bees love it. Neighbors love it as well. This is truly a beautiful blue evergreen blooming plant and very hardy..

On Jun 6, 2012, bendipa from London
United Kingdom wrote:

I had a similar problem. It can be a difficult plant to grow. The soil must be well drained and acidic . Lithodora Diffusa hates lime. If you live in a hard water area, watering will add lime to the soil (raises pH).The pH will become too high so.the plant will suffer..You either need to plant in ericaceous compost to begin with, or add some sulphur to the planting mixture whiich will keep the soil acidic enough. To ensure the soil drainage is sufficient add plenty of sharp sand/grit to the planting area.

On May 19, 2012, altura from Bluffton, SC wrote:

I live in Bluffton, SC and bought 6 of these plants at Home Depot in April. They were gorgeous and I was so proud after getting them in the ground. In about 2 wks, one plant started to turn black and I was so sad. Eventually it died but before it died, a second one followed suit. I read here to cut out the die back which I have on the remaining 4, 3 of which look good but the 4th is half gone. I don't think I have overwatered. Should I give up or replace with new ones? Help!! Mary Ann

On Sep 5, 2008, kkitchener from Moclips, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am are just feet from the Pacific Ocean - Wind and Salt Air! Lithodora is one of my staples. It is reliable and very pretty. Depending on how the wind hits it, it may "burn" or get ugly, I just whack off the ugly part off and it grows back and rewards me with pretty blooms all summer long.

On May 2, 2006, trothatl from Decatur, GA wrote:

In the Atlanta area, the plants are filled with beautiful blue flowers in April. The center of my plants have browned out a bit, but I'm told I can prune the plants back this fall and they will be fine next year. They seem to be hardy and grew quickly this spring.

On Apr 22, 2003, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Low growing, spreading plant, that has a beautiful blue color that really stands out in spite of the small size of the flowers. Likes free draining soil but tolerates our wet winters and frequent light to medium frosts. Grew fastest here in full sun but did ok in partial shade also.