Foamflower, Foam Flower

Tiarella wherryi

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tiarella (tee-uh-RELL-a) (Info)
Species: wherryi (WHER-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Tiarella cordifolia var. collina

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Anchorage, Alaska

Reading, Massachusetts

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Sanford, Michigan

Traverse City, Michigan

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Frenchtown, New Jersey

Walterville, Oregon

Coopersburg, Pennsylvania

Mercer, Pennsylvania

Rapid City, South Dakota

Jackson, Tennessee (2 reports)

Toone, Tennessee

Leesburg, Virginia

Franklin, Wisconsin

Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Watertown, Wisconsin

On May 16, 2010, jleigh from Ballston Lake, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

While on a hike in the Adirondacks I came across a few patches of this lovely little plant. I have no clue how they got there, but it was a pleasant surprise. (The snake hiding underneath was not.) Being that I am not in the habit of digging up wild plants for my own woodland garden at home, I hope I can find this plant again through trade or purchase. From the two different cultivars I currently have growing I can say that these are definitely amazing plants for any shade garden.

On Jun 2, 2009, swmbo64 from Franklin, WI wrote:

I'm in zone 5a. Planted 2 late last summer in well drained, partly shaded area. 08-09 winter was harsh and I was concerned these wouldn't make it since I planted fairly late in the season. One came back beautifully. Lost the other.

So far, has maintained clump form and has not spread. Lovely heart shaped foliage. Nice companion plant to Coral Bells and Foamy Bells.

Also a native woodland species which is always a plus!

On May 19, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

choice native groundcover for shade/part shade, even dryish shade. In good soil spreads moderately fast, but is easy to manage and not at all invasive. In poor dry soil grows very slowly.

On Apr 7, 2009, Avocet from Jackson, TN wrote:

In the wild, foamflower often is found around waterfalls or near the edge of wet areas. It sometimes grows in rock crevices. Other times, it can be found mixed with other early spring wildflowers on the forest floor. The lesson for the gardener is that it is adaptable to many situations, but should not be allowed to get too dry.

On Feb 23, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This species is a clump former, not a groundcover.

On Feb 24, 2005, Mariemarie from Waterloo

This plant has been one of those plants that once I planted it I had to do nothing but admire it. It is planted in a partly shaded garden on the north side or our house in zone 5 Ontario Canada. I highly recomend it for it's beautiful foliage and fragrant delicate flowers. It makes a nice companion to my hostas.

On Jul 9, 2004, Magazinewriter from Bloomfield Hills, MI wrote:

Despite their reputation as a deep shade plant, the only one of the 5 tiarella I planted last year to come back strongly was the one that, though still in a shady bed, got the most sun. It began blooming in late May and is still lovely.
The others did return, but they were very tiny and showed no signs of blooming. So I moved them near the blooming one and they seem to be reviving. One finally has a few buds. (It's now early July.)
I expect the other 3 will be fine next spring.

On Mar 23, 2004, Tiarella from Tunnel Hill, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a fast spreader in good soil. Makes an excellent groundcover in a shady location. Delicate blooms are a bonus and appear later than the clumping foamflower. I have several varieties of foamflowers so that they bloom from March to June.

On Jan 19, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Tiarellas are beautiful flowering plants. They require a deep humusy soil to survive, which effort is well-repaid by its long flowering season and beautiful foliage.

On Jul 1, 2001, RiseAnn from Rapid City, SD (Zone 5b) wrote:

Pinkish, feathery flower spikes. Blooms early summer. Compact, slow-spreading perennial. Heart-shaped leaves, used as groundcover. North American woodland native.