Fortune Hybrid Hyssop 'Blue Fortune'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Fortune

Nineveh, New York

Pittsford, New York

Water Mill, New York

Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

Columbus, Ohio (2 reports)

Dayton, Ohio

Chiloquin, Oregon

Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

Norristown, Pennsylvania

Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania (2 reports)

Anderson, South Carolina

Lexington, Virginia

Orange, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 18, 2014, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got mine two months ago at a big-box store. I like the plant, though it is a bit sprawly and, dare I say, weedy-looking. I mainly wanted to comment on the extraordinary bee-attracting power of its massive flower spikes. I tend to like plants if they can attract honeybees, and to love plants if they can attract bumblebees. Well, this one is virtually never free of bumblebees. It even passes my "bees in the rain" test, which is what its name implies. Look out the window at yours in a storm and you're almost guaranteed to see at least one bumblebee on it, oblivious to the elements.

On May 28, 2014, nutsaboutnature from Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this plant...so do the hummingbirds, bees and butterflies!

I purchased a quart-sized plant from Lowes on sale the Autumn before last, so last spring/summer was it's first in the ground. It thrived and the blooms seemed to last forever. The hummers, bees and butterflies were constant visitors, even as it started to wane.

I actually have it growing in part shade and it doesn't seem to mind at all. I haven't had a problem with Japanese Beetles, but it's possibly because we have a lot of birds. Maybe they eat the Beetles or most of the grubs.

My only regret is that I didn't buy more than one.

On Apr 30, 2012, hamptons from Watermill, NY wrote:

I've learned not to spend a lot of money for this plant because it is somewhat short-lived. Some of them don't come back after winter, some of them come back after the first winter but not after that. This plant seems to have a tendency to heave itself out of the ground. I had a turtlehead plant which did the same thing. I would add soil and mulch around the base but it would heave itself up again.

Bees love it. But the cost of this plant even in big box stores can be a bit too much for a plant that is called a perennial but doesn't always behave like one -- or one that behaves like a short-lived perennial.

On Aug 18, 2011, Massgirl from Franklin, MA wrote:

Love this plant! Easy to grow, bees love it! BUT mine has grown 6 feet tall plus!!! I'm 5'7" and it's taller than me. This one I have in part shade, but I have a Black Adder in full sun and that one is 6' plus, too!! Since they are both so tall, they've flopped over but I've propped them up and they look beautiful.

On Jul 12, 2011, pastapicker from Columbus, OH wrote:

It did very well for me in a raised bed here in zone 5b for 3 years--but both plants disappeared over this last winter. This surprised me since this last winter was not a cold as many and we had prolonged snow cover, which allowed even some annuals, like parsley, to overwinter. Maybe they are short-lived plants?

On Feb 28, 2011, ge1836 from Pittsford, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is wonderful BUT my zone is the first zone mentioned and I believe its not as hardy here as in other places.
I get about 2 years out of it and then it fails to return.
I just replace it but the cost might mean I will have to substitute for a hardier plant.

On Jul 12, 2010, 48park from Pepperell, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Pollinator magnet - especially bumblebees, who appear, when this plant is in bloom, at first light and are still there until dusk. Although advertised as such, not especially fragrant, unlike nepeta or monarda, and relatively modest in appearance, it is a durable plant and a solid performer.

On Jul 7, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is growing in an exposed rock garden/corner area in zone 4 -- and doing very well. It is quite tall--I just measured mine at about 5 feet--but very sturdy. I did pinch it off a bit in the spring, so it is nice and full and is now beginning to boom very nicely. It blooms nonstop from midsummer until mid to late fall. Bees and butterflies are all over it. Japanese beetles like it also, but I just keep picking them off and see very little damage to the plants. Very low maintenance, but attractive and fragrant. I'd call this a winner.

On Oct 10, 2009, diawoods from Aurora, CO wrote:

I agree with all the comments. It grows into a large plant--mine was 5' tall and the stalks are strong and don't need staking. It started blooming in mid-July in Denver area and kept up until the first snows--and it's still standing! Nice blue color. No deadheading required. It has done well in well drained clay soil. I did lose one but the other two have done really well in their second year. It is a great plant at the back of a border. You can plant shorter plants in front of it.

On Sep 13, 2009, mslehv from Columbus, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This has been an easy plant to grow even in central Ohio clay soil. Starting from 5" nursery pots in June it rapidly grew to at least 4.5'. Blooms or reblooms continuously with no deadheading and is continuously covered with honey bees.

On May 30, 2009, shelly80504 from Longmont, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this plant. My mom pulled one out of her garden (like you do a weed - no dirt or anything) and gave it to me with instructions to just put it in the ground. Sure enough I have a beautiful plant that draws bees and hummingbirds to my yard. Now in its third year in my garden, I can hardly wait for it to start blooming again. Grows into a neat little ball shape and has pretty purple flowers that last most of the summer/fall - all without any real attention from me.

On Nov 29, 2008, deerfarmer from Bellville, TX wrote:

deerfarmer states that this is a wonderful perenial: Easy to grow and rewards with continuous blooming throughout the spring, summer, fall and in southeast Texas early winter. Attracts butterflys, and bees. Does very well in our HOT HUMID summers.

On Aug 6, 2008, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant - it's 4 feet tall for me and has been blooming for 2 months. 1 of 3 did not survive the winter but I replaced it. The form and color are wonderful in the back of the border and yes, the bees cover it. I saw a hummingbird at it only once very early in the morning.

On Jul 4, 2008, rebecca30 from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I like the rounded form it has inthe full sun with all the bumble bees on it. Beware, Jap beetles like it to.

On Feb 24, 2008, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

A. 'Blue Fortune' is bred and selected by Gert Fortgens of the Arboretum Trompenburg in Rotterdam, Netherlands. I've been told that the flowers are sterile and that this explains its long time flowering. A. 'Blue Fortune' can be propagated by division or by cuttings taken before flowering. Received AGM in 2003 for its good habit.

On Aug 9, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Beautiful Agastache! Butterflies, Bees and I love it!

On Jul 24, 2007, gotpeace91 from Gravette, AR wrote:

If you want to attract bees to your garden, grow this plant! It attracts bees more than any other plant I've owned. It also attracts small butterflies and has a great licorice scent to the leaves.

On Mar 18, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

36" - Plant 20" apart. Z5-10 Blue violet flower spikes on spicy fragrant foliage. Long flowering. The better the drainage the happier the plant. Attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies, with minty aromatic foliage.

On May 28, 2006, QCapen from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant has thrived in our front yard, becoming quite a centerpiece. It is a prolific bloomer, attracting bees and butterflies from mid-July through September. 'Blue Fortune' has been one of the only plants that the deer have not even attempted to taste in the yard. It has proven to be quite drought tolerant in its partial shade site and grows to about 36" tall by 30" wide. I basically just stuck it in the ground and have forgotten about it and it has been a top-notch performer.

On Jan 9, 2005, DryGulch from Wild Rose, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grown from seed. It is very aromatic. Bees love it. It can tolerate sandy, dry soils. Deer will not touch it. Tolerates partial shade. Will self-seed.

On Jul 10, 2004, ibekarl from Hampton, VA wrote:

I planted this early this spring from nursery stock in the belief that it was anise hyssop. (Actually, it seems, it is a hybrid of anise hyssop and Korean Mint--agastache rugosa). Nevertheless it has the distinct aroma and taste of anise. It is now about 30" tall and began blooming in early June. It is quite pretty and attracts goldfinches, which I have never seen here before (in Hampton, VA). My soil is clay, which I try to amend with organic matter, and depending whether it's flood or drought, the soil is wet or dry. But this plant doesn't seem to mind.