Hybrid Hummingbird Mint 'Desert Sunrise'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Cultivar: Desert Sunrise

Belton, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

Santaquin, Utah

On May 29, 2009, shelly80504 from Longmont, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted mine in the spring of 2006 (from a three inch pot). Last fall (2008) it was about 4 1/2 feet tall and drawing both bees and hummingbirds to my yard like crazy. The orange/purple flowers look stellar against the silver/gray folage, and it smells awesome!

On Dec 4, 2008, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is fantastic!!! I planted about four of them all together from High Country Gardens. They bloom like clockwork and, with a little help from plant stakes for support, are beautiful all late spring, summer and early fall. They are dormant right now. However, the flowers supplement the hummingbird feeders I have for about half of the year. They smell terrific, too. Besides all this, there are no volunteer seedlings from these plants which is a definite plus.

On Nov 17, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Very Beautiful Agastache!

Love this Agastache! Had 'DS' in 2005 and must have accidentally cut the branches before having new growth come up in 2006 and lost that one. This 'DS' is the one I bought again at High Country Gardens this Spring and I'm not going to cut too early next year and/or any year!

Make sure you wait until any and all late Spring frost/freeze have passed before cutting the old stems and after seeing the new growth is showing. Might be mid to late Spring before you do that.

On Aug 20, 2006, Plant_Gurl from Bend, OR (Zone 4b) wrote:

This thing is going great guns! Planted from a 3" pot in the one full-sun, no-water area on my property, it is approximately 2 1/2 feet talll, lush and healthy.

I hadn't seen any hummingbirds around our property in the last 3 years, and this year... A.G. (after agastache) we have hummers!!!

On Mar 31, 2003, Lavanda from Mcallen, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is the hybrid result of a cross between A. cana & A. rupestris.