Lipstick Plant, Basketvine, Basket Vine

Aeschynanthus radicans

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aeschynanthus (es-kee-NAN-thus) (Info)
Species: radicans (RAD-ee-kans) (Info)
Synonym:Aeschynanthus lobbianus

La Porte, Texas

Wimberley, Texas

Redmond, Washington

On Feb 26, 2010, TwyliteFlyer from Edmonton

I was given this plant about a year ago from my neighbor. Knew nothing about it at the time, so I just stuck it on the only available surface... a corner of the kitchen with no direct sunlight. Gave it some water when I watered everything else. I think it got a few new leaves there, but was pretty stagnant.

I have since moved, and it is now in a south-facing window (somewhat sheltered by other plants and a small tree outside) and it is in it's glory. And it's now in full bloom in the middle of February. I think the flowers are so cool.

Very easy to care for.

On Nov 19, 2009, Mr_Cleaver from Reeders, PA (Zone 4a) wrote:

I live in NE PA and have this plant outside when nightime temps get into the low 40's so it can take some cool weather. This plant likes to be repotted, so I do it yearly. Lots of 'fluff' keeps the soil from compacting, because it does not like living in 5 year old soil that has become a solid piece and has moss growing on it. I did it and it never really grew well.

On Sep 3, 2009, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Will get very long without trimming. The leaves turn deep purple outside in summer and look very unusual.

On Oct 22, 2008, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Just bought this baby. Tag says: Grow in indirect or curtain-filtered bright light. Keep warm - never below 65. Keep the soil barely moist at all times. Feed every other month with 20-20-20 fertilizer when soil is moist.

On Apr 30, 2007, wandygirl from Brookfield, CT wrote:

I just received a 2.5" pot of A. 'Curly Lipstick' from E-bay vendor begonia9868. She has many nice plants listed, mostly begonias. Does anyone know the correct genus name for this plant and its parentage, since it appears to be a hybrid?

On Apr 7, 2007, Sashprd58 from Manchester, CT wrote:

I find this makes a great houseplant. I have one in a planter box off my 2nd floor balcony that blooms like crazy. I have to constantly trim it back because it grows so long that I walk into the plant when going outside onto my deck. Mine seems to flower more during the winter here in CT as well as late summer.

On Oct 28, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Deep green leaves on trailing stems, bright red flowers at stem tips. Hanging baskets indoor or outdoor, prefers bright, indirect light, moderately moist soil