PlantFiles: Showy Pink Evening Primrose, Mexican Evening Primrose, Pink Ladies
Oenothera speciosa 'Rosea'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Oenothera (ee-no-THEE-ruh) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Synonym:Hartmannia speciosa
Synonym:Xylopleurum speciosum

Late Fall/Early Winter

Variegated
Good Fall Color

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Oenothera speciosa by GreeneLady

By uofagirl
Thumbnail #7 of Oenothera speciosa by uofagirl

Positive honeysuckle2000 On May 28, 2012, honeysuckle2000 from Cary, IL wrote:

this is a beautiful plant i have grown from when the plants are on clearance. it has a lovely fragnance, and the flowers really stand out. ofcourse they spread, just remove from where you dont want them. except for spreading out they are drought tolerant, and no require fertilizers.

Negative FlyPoison On Apr 17, 2012, FlyPoison from Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Planters beware, the showy evening primrose can be extremely aggressive and hard to get rid of. I've been trying to eradicate some in my wildflower garden for 3 years now. I can't count all of the plants I've had to pull up. Roundup works very well when it can be applied without endangering plants you don't want to kill. Although this plant has pretty flowers, the bloom period is rather short and the foliage is ugly and weedy looking.

Negative rdcgarden On Jun 18, 2011, rdcgarden from Windsor, CO wrote:

Boy do we hate this plant! Planted one plant last year and it is taking over our garden! The runners go everywhere! There is no way that we can keep up trying to control this plant. Looks and acts like bindeweed! Stay clear of this one.

Neutral maydaymomma On May 17, 2010, maydaymomma from Belle Plaine, MN wrote:

This is the third year for this plant in my perennial garden. It definately has moved from it's original placement. I wanted it at the edge of my garden and it has moved it's way through the other plantings. I love the look and smell of the plant although it has taken over my garden I have been able to just pull the new sprouts out away from my other plants. It needs some maintenance in spring but is showy and does well in my hot dry location with minimal watering.

Neutral ladybug_pc On Feb 21, 2010, ladybug_pc from Mcdonough, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant, but is does spread rapidly. Give it plenty of room. I purchased 3 plants a few years ago and now it covers over 100 square feet of my garden. I plant vairous bulbs in this area for a nice combination.

Positive rinomanfroni On May 4, 2009, rinomanfroni from Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted it in a big pot with other perennials and I have to keep it controlled almost every day because it develops underground runners that sprout buds all over the place, even at 4 feet of distance! Definitely not the perfect plant for a container (unless you want to have just this plant in your container!)

I also have tied it up with a string so to avoid it would creep out around the place, taking away the sun from other nearby seedlings. However, I would say that when tied up it looks even better!

Overall, this is a beautiful plant and all the things I am doing are absolutely worth it. It germinates in just 2-3 days from seed.

Positive GreeneLady On Mar 25, 2009, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wow. I purchased 5 of these just to fill in some bare spots in my garden. After they stopped blooming and the pods dried, I plucked them and sprinkled the seeds all over the garden. This spring it is FULL of new seedlings all over the place. Definately one easy plant to grow! I love the pink flowers too. They are so dainty, delicate and simple. I have some in full sun and some in part shade, and have noticed the ones in part shade seem to be larger and fuller than the ones in full sun.

Positive corrieliisa On May 26, 2008, corrieliisa from Raeford, NC wrote:

I love this plant ! It does have a light fragrance, and it does tolerate the extreme heat/drought here in North Carolina. It transplants well, I took it out of a garden when we moved, and planted it in a large planter. It is gorgeous! I am going to try growing them from seeds. I have collected several past their prime heads and will attempt to grow new ones from them.

Positive grovespirit On May 12, 2008, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This flower is fragrant! It has a light, fresh scent which is pleasant, but only tends to become noticeable if you plant it in groups.
Will re-seed itself year after year, if happy with its location.

This plant is a *very useful*, edible flower of nutritional importance. Very safe around young kids. Flowers, leaves, seedpods and seeds of the plant are edible.

The seeds can be used as a nutritional supplement. They contain evening primrose oil. Evening primrose oil is a source of some essential fatty acids and has been found to have several very positive health and medicinal indications.

Positive daniels474 On May 12, 2007, daniels474 from Marietta, GA wrote:

This plant grows extremely well. You can keep it controlled by using cypress mulch, but it is also easy to pull up, if you don't like where it is going. (It spreads by runners.) I love that it is a long May-June bloomer with a lovely light pink color. At night, it looks white and really brightens up the garden, so it can be used in a moon garden. We have long dry hot summers in Georgia and this plant tolerates that very well. I try to use native plants, due to our water restrictions during the summer, but I also use plants from similar climates. If you have my type of weather and want a garden, but can't water very often, this is the flower for you.

Positive uofagirl On May 31, 2004, uofagirl from Orrville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grows well from winter sown seed in part sun, well drained soil.. Will grow tall when competing for light. Can become leggy. Fine/ delicate foliage. Does not pop open @ nite like the yellow evening primrose. Opens during the day.

Hereford, Arizona
Xenia, Ohio
Clarksville, Tennessee
Toone, Tennessee
Arlington, Texas
Austin, Texas (4 reports)
Del Rio, Texas