West Texas Mist Flower

Conoclinium greggii

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Conoclinium (koh-no-KLY-nee-um) (Info)
Species: greggii (GREG-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Eupatorium greggii

Arlington, Texas

Boerne, Texas

Burleson, Texas

College Station, Texas

Crawford, Texas (2 reports)

Edinburg, Texas

Fate, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Gainesville, Texas

Georgetown, Texas

Hurst, Texas

Irving, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas (2 reports)

New Braunfels, Texas

Princeton, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Santa Fe, Texas

Spring, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

Weatherford, Texas

On Sep 27, 2013, mojogirl from College Station, TX wrote:

This is a great plant for your garden to help attract bees, hummingbirds and butterflies! It's also quite invasive and will quickly sweep an area if not controlled. It's easy to maintain and easily the most low maintenance to plant in the yard, including water, light and ph.

Just watch it... it's a creeper!

On Apr 26, 2013, KWM_SA from San Antonio, TX wrote:

This is one of those plants you only need one of but it's a great one. I started from a one gallon pot planted on the bermed edge of my dry creekbed. It has approximately doubled in width each year. However, I haven't found it to be the kind of plant that crowds out everything near it. It just sends up shoots through the Powis Castle artemesia. It's probably 24-30" tall and tends to sprawl.

It's in full sun with a western exposure and for most of that time has been at the very end of my hose's reach (i.e., it didn't get watered much). It is very drought and heat tolerant. It only really blooms once or twice a year for me but it's an important nectar source for Monarchs and other butterflies. It does die back in the winter and needs to be pruned back in about Februar... read more

On Mar 24, 2012, JBH_1950 from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Love this plant. It gets to looking a little ragged during the Phoenix summer and at the end of winter, but in autumn it is glorious and every year a source of delight to visiting queen butterflies.

On Sep 13, 2008, Ladybeetle from zone 7, TX wrote:

I believe I have Texas Mist flower , this year I'm growing on the west side of house but receiving some shade from a climbing rose bush. It has grown over 6 feet in some locations. I mulched with a composted horse manure/ sawdust mixture. It got plenty of water in July and has
received plenty of rain also. This year is first year in 15 years
that mine didn't fry in the sun in July! It isn't quite in full bloom yet but the flowers are all there. Maybe this weekend with Ike's storm when it makes its way here to Gainesville. This plant is growing all around the house but just 3 feet tall. I love it mixed up in the beds. I love it coming through the red and orange Lantana and my yellow Lantana!

On Nov 13, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

West Texas Mist Flower,Conoclinium greggii, is a lovely flower very attractive to butterflies. This plant is native to Texas and other States.

On Mar 13, 2007, GrosArbre from Crawford, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

A magnet for queen butterflies (Danaeus gillipus)! Needs a bit of extra water if in full sun; afternoon shade is ideal.

Try mixing it with pink butterfly gaura (Gaura lindheimeri, pink variety) for a symphony of midsummer color and texture. Alone, C. greggii can look a bit dull.

This plant is a must have if you live in central Texas.

On May 19, 2006, SisterClay from Hurst, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

If you love butterflies, this is the plant for you.

I have several plants in my garden that are said to attract butterflies, but everytime I look at my garden, this is the only plant that is completely covered with butterflies.

On Sep 12, 2005, jackieshar from Texas/Okla central border
United States (Zone 7b) wrote:

south central Oklahoma is very sandy and dry.....Eupatorium grows wild in ourlow lying areas with some moisture in the soil. I have transplanted it into my cultivated beds and it takes care of itself and looks great. Blooms start here in late August and continue til frost.

On Sep 22, 2004, m20361 from Fayetteville, NC wrote:

Good low-maintenance plant for well-drained areas. Spreads vigorously, but is fairly easy to uproot where not wanted (not nearly as over-powering as the native Eupatorium). Heavy bloom in late summer/fall attracts butterflies, and the color goes well with nearly everything.

On Sep 22, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a wild plant that has become a rapid favorite. It is now around all our ponds, along our fences, and just everywhere you look. Extremely attractive in masses. Selective mowing has thios plant every where we want it.

On Aug 23, 2004, GardenQuiltLady from New Braunfels, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Butterflies get drunk on this flower! I know this plant as "blue mist." Is this correct name also? Very difficult to confine, but I just leave it be and enjoy. More blooms as the weather cools.

On May 25, 2004, angelap from Weatherford, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I live in a Monarch butterfly migration path, and my Eupatorium greggii is covered with these beautiful creatures every fall. It seems to attract every butterfly from here to Oklahoma!

The plant is a little bit of a thug, spreading by rhizomes. I simply hack them out and share with the neighbors.

On Oct 1, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

Here in west central Florida, this Eupatorium could not be more easy to grow. In fact, it went from a 10" ball to something like 4' across in a few months, necessitating moving some daylilies out of its tender clutches! It is indeed a butterfly magnet. In particular here the red admirals seem to adore it. It is not more than two feet tall, and I am very glad I planted it far enough (so far) away from the path. I am going to have to cut it back in one spot, as it wants to eat the Dendranthema and I don't want to move that. Plants!

On Aug 1, 2003, sanangeloparks wrote:

This is an easy to grow plant with big payoff! A little work needs to be done to keep it from spreading however. It requires little supplemental water and butterflies are attracted to it like a magnet!

On Nov 27, 2002, desert_rose from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

I can't do without this plant in my garden! It's easy, drought-tolerant and attracts so many butterflies--- I can't count them all. It grows in average alkaline to poor soil. It has plenty of seeds in the fall.