Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Green Zebra'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Green Zebra

Corte Madera, California

Davis, California

Mission Viejo, California

Oceanside, California

Quartz Hill, California (2 reports)

Rancho Cucamonga, California

Sunnyvale, California

West Hills, California

Wildomar, California

Broomfield, Colorado

Denver, Colorado (2 reports)

Stratford, Connecticut

Vieques, Puerto Rico

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Knoxville, Tennessee

Belton, Texas

Dripping Springs, Texas (2 reports)

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Irving, Texas

Jonesville, Virginia

Weyers Cave, Virginia

On Jun 17, 2015, beachedwalrus from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

Love the taste of this tomato when given to by a friend so i took the seeds and grew it for myself. Taste is something special when it is fully ripe but what was even more surprising was the yield..

My current plant is over 2.8 meters tall and still growing with 100+ tomatoes on it and they average about 80-120g each. The plant is still putting out new stems and flowers so i am now expecting a monster yield off this plant. Biggest problem i am having is keep the plant from falling over.

On Aug 21, 2014, CalgaryGardener from Calgary, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

though the plant grows very nice for me and produces a lot of fruit, the fruit has a texture around the seed wall that completely turns me off. almost a jelly like texture that feels very odd in my mouth.

i have tried ripe, overly ripe and not so ripe and can not get past that texture. my neighbours love the fruit, so i grow it for them and to get rid of my seeds.

one positive note from the seed pack, one plant turned out to be either a black or red zebra and doesn't have that odd jelly texture and is quite sweet and tasty.

On Sep 6, 2013, cephalo from Huntsdale, MO wrote:

I like these tomatoes from the farmers market, but when I tried to grow one in the middle of about 6 other types of heirlooms, for some reason this one died before I got a good tomato. All my other plants (about 30) did great all season.

On Aug 5, 2013, tomatoliz from Bloomington, IN wrote:

My first try at growing tomatoes. Green Zebra grew perfectly in a large pot, with large yield, golf ball size fruit, medium size plant, no diseases, prolific, wonderful taste, very attractive. Plant had to be watered every day unless it rained.

On Sep 16, 2012, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

I purchased the seeds from Burpee and planted two in my raised beds surrounded by newspapers and wood chips to retain the moisture during this brutal growing season. They produced well after I got the blossom end rot under control. I wish I would have taken more time in preparing the planting hole with more dried egg shells and store bought calcium. Only a few of my tomatoes got BER and this was one of them. I sprayed them a couple of times and that took care of the problem.

It is my son's favorite tomato and we like to eat them right off the plant. They are the size of golf balls and the plant is fairly prolific. I will grow them again along with a few more green tomatoes.

On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

started this tomato march 2010 and planted out last weekend of may. the first green tomato i've grown was unsure when ripe. was grown in raised planter west side of house, later to ripen, yield was average.
found taste to be bland, not the tang i expected
mid-sized plant
good leaf cover
plant was still healthy mid-september.

On Aug 8, 2011, Love2bugs from Jonesville, VA wrote:

My husband and I had a tomato testing between the Green Zebra and the Early Girl. Both of us agreed ed that the Green Zebra test like the tomato should be- tangy and Juicy. The Early Girl was so blend. We preferred the Green Zebra over the Early Girl from now on.

On Jan 26, 2010, carotcruncha from basildon essex
United Kingdom wrote:

i grew these last year and was impresed by the long truses and vigor of the plant, acid tang is a good desciption pretty meaty texture almost potato like i stuffed some cheese in mine after cutting top of and blasting seeds out under a fast running tap

On Jul 16, 2009, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

Not ruining this for most people since this is a high-regarded variety, I shall keep my note to NEUTRAL for now.

This is one of the first varieties I planted and I have yet to harvest a fruit (90 days today). I noticed though that I have clusters of tomatoes to look forward to at the 5' mark. A few more weeks before harvest time.

Somehow, this variety is a favorite of aphids. I have 12 tomatoes on my deck and this is the only one who gets them. Good for the rest of the tomatoes, bad for Green Zebra.

I shall change my note to POSITIVE when the flavor wins me over. I sure hope so since I waited this long.

On Apr 14, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow Green Zebra in 14" plant pots, and trim them to be about 6" high and not much wider than the pot. I use recycled potting soil and Plant Tones Organic fertilizer sprinkling about a level teaspoon about once a week while plant is fruiting. They also get one treatment of liquid seaweed fertilizer when transplanted over whole plant, and one more when they set flower, but only over the roots. Each year I plant about 3 GZ from seeds. I usually get tons of medium to large fruit. It is one of my top 3 favorites, both for productivity and taste. Last year we had a lot of cold wet days in summer, and I had BER problems, especially with the GZ, losing about 25% of the harvest.

On Jul 4, 2008, dalmatian_fan87 from Cascade, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Tried this plant for the first time this year...and dare i say, it is now one of my favorites! It totally rocks on a burger! :)

Only thing is you REALLY gotta watch for blossom end rot on this variety

On Apr 30, 2008, scholl734 from Ypsilanti, MI wrote:

Good tasting tomato but very little resistance to disease. I threw away as many as I kept...

On Sep 24, 2007, LenaBeanNZ from Brisbane
Australia (Zone 10b) wrote:

One of my favourite tomatoes to grow! Currently growing my third generation of self collected seed, and still with extremely good results. Im growing in cold windy Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Very disease and draught resistant. Tall, strong, healthy plants, even after some severe wind battering. Last season I had my three tallest tomato plants (out of 32) reach almost 3m and both were Green Zebra! They need a decent amount of space to grow in.

I love making green tomato relishes and sauces. Flavour is intense and colour a real eye catcher. Also great fresh, especially with cheese and crackers.

Definately recommend this variety!

On Aug 9, 2007, jjpm74 from Stratford, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Plants tend to bare large amounts of fruits a little larger than a golf ball. The tastiest green tomato I've encountered and great for salsa and Mexican dishes. A permanent fixture in my garden and one of my favorite tomatoes in terms of both flavor and yield.

On Aug 2, 2007, jenwaterston from Havertown, PA wrote:

I find Green Zebra tomato plants very easy to grow -- they ripen mid-season here in Philadelphia and are very prolific producers. I used Cock-a-doodle-doo when I planted them. They are delicious in salads -- nice full-bodied tomato flavor. They work nicely with red and yellow tomatoes for fresh tomato salad.

On Oct 29, 2006, DaveNW from Portland, OR wrote:

AWESOME! I found a tiny plant on sale in July at a farmer's market. I stuck it in some soil in my back yard and stuck a cage around it. This is my first home, first garden, and first tomato plant! It grew beautifully despite the fact that I planted it late and not even in good sun. Here it is, Halloween, and I chopped down the plant and harvested about 10 pounds of these lovely green beauties. They are still quite hard, so not ripe yet. I made perfect fried green tomatoes with them. Good enough to rival my grandmother's! Just sliced them, salted and peppered them, dipped them in medium corn meal and fried 'em up in olive oil. Then I made a couple of quarts of pickled green tomatoes. WOO HOO! Green Zebras will be in my garden for years to come. (Portland,OR)

On Sep 10, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

I have enjoyed Green Zebra so much in the past that I decided to give the other Zebras a try this year. I am growing 5 Zebra varieties along with a Red Lightning. The lack of disease resistance that has been mentioned seems to be present in the other Zebra varieties as well.Over the last few weeks that row has slowly deteriorated with the exception of Yellow Zebra.

One interesting note that I can add: I was introduced to Green Zebra when I purchased a plant at a national grocery chain a couple of years ago. It was sold as Green Zebra Stripe.

Out of the 5 Zebras and the Red Lightning the Green was outpaced in production only by my Black Zebra.

And by the way, the Green is king of my Zebra zoo. But I must admit that the Black is more attractive.

On Jun 6, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Give this tomato plant A LOT of room. It's huge, but extremely productive. Teenagers at this house love them because they taste 'zingy' like ketchup. I'm not big on acidic tomatoes but they are.

On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Good flavor, but the skin was a bit thick. It took picking several at different stages to figure the best time to pick. I had it in quite a bit of shade, but in compost rich soil, and they did well.

On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew this one in the spring of '05, and thought it was fairly decent tasting at first. However, it seemed like as the season progressed, the taste was negatively impacted by the heat and the fruits became sour.

On Jan 6, 2006, Zeppy from Shenandoah Valley, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Huge producer of smallish, round tomatoes; ripe when they get a yellowish tint to the green. Excellent canned or frozen; the thick peel slips off easily. Will grow again.

On Nov 26, 2005, blameitonkarma from Lancaster, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant produced one (count 'em, ONE) tomato the size of a golfball, then died. I don't think it liked the hot, dry weather out here because the plant itself only got about 2 feet tall.

Not a winner in the California high desert -- at least not in my backyard!

On Sep 12, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This was my 1st year growing "Green Zebra" via a free gift pack of seeds included with my order.

I started them indoors end of March & had 100% germination in 4 days. Whether planted in the garden or in deck containers, these tomatoes performed FABULOUSLY. Unlike the negative post above, I have never had a tomato plant so utterly RESISTANT to pests & disease. While all my other 'maters were being chronically defoliated by Hornworms, for whatever reason the Zebras hardly had a one, & even then bounced back quickly from any damage. Ditto for the usual end-of-season viral/bacterial diseases. Currently, while the other plants are beginning to slow down & yellow, my Zebras are still full, lush, & green. Go figure.

While taste is definitely a personal thing - ... read more

On Sep 10, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

I understand why this is so popular. Very interesting flavor, a prolific tomato and of course the appearance. You will want to just look at them. Perfect tomato after perfect tomato in a year that the drought caused plenty of scarring and crzing on the fruit but not to the Zebras. An absolute must!

On Aug 29, 2005, RickardE from Goshen, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

My mother-in-law, who has grown tomatoes for almost 70 years said upon seeing it, "Is it ripe?" Green Zebra is one of the best kept secrets in the garden. Its taste is excellent and unique. My kids love them. They grew very well for me and I am a rookie gardener.

On Feb 25, 2005, billbird2111 from Sacramento, CA wrote:

Green Zebra got a late start for us, but then churned out buckets of fruit.

It's a smaller tomato, but has a tasty zing to it that none others have.

I'll tell you what this tomato is best for: fresh soups. If your soup recipe calls for a can or two of crushed or chopped tomatoes, put eight or nine of these babies in your food processor instead.

The taste is out of this world. You cannot duplicate this taste in winter.

GROWERS: I've found that planting in a raised bed, filled with planter mix, is best for tomatoes. I'm also sold on using live Ladybugs for pest control. We didn't have a single tomato worm last year. Not one pest. Every tomato came out looking perfect!

On Dec 1, 2004, suzy_qu3 from East Chatham, NY wrote:

I had terrific results with this variety. Nice fruit in groups five to seven at a time. My plants held up well until it was quite cool. Great sandwich tomato and made an interesting salsa.

On Jan 8, 2004, CentralTX from Belton, TX wrote:

I planted green zebra for the first time this year. I tried to keep the vines staked and they got over 5 foot tall and as the summer progressed, they escaped the restraints and tried to take over the garden. I gave green zebra tomatoes to everyone who would take them, often had to explain what they were. They out produced my other varities. I found this tomato in D.C. at a farmers market, saved some seeds on a napkin and brought them to Texas. I did just about everything wrong I could in saving the seeds, yet it seemed like every seed I planted came up. This variety will be in my garden for years to come.

On Sep 24, 2003, megabrams from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the 'Green Zebra'. I absolutely loved the taste, and how quick they are to mature, but on the negative side they seem to have nearly no resistance to disease. Almost every one of my Green Zebras succumbed to some sort of mortal disease. No matter where in the garden they were planted, while the surrounding tomato plants of other species thrived! Maybe I just grew a weak batch from sickly parent plants seeds(someone sent me the heirloom seeds.)

On Jul 23, 2003, mrspam from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

We're growing Green Zebra tomatoes for the first time in our Dripping Springs, Texas (Austin area) organic garden. They are fabulous - the taste is somewhere between a tomato and a kiwi! I only planted two of this variety, but they are FULL of tomatoes - just starting to ripen. Pick them when they are just soft - if you wait too long they will be a bit mushy inside. I will plant many more of these next year.

On Jun 15, 2003, corrales from Arvada, CO wrote:

Bot my first Green Zebra plant this year (Colorado) and am glad to be told here that it is indeterminant. Big fans of fried green tomatoes, we thought this ought to be something special with garlic and a touch of olive oil. We'll see!

On Oct 2, 2002, Pala from Olympia, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I really like the Green Zebra tomato as it's small yet early; with a lot of zesty, refreshing flavor. Rather tart and spicey at the same time. I would certainly grow this again just for the flavor and the beauty of the tomato in contrast to others. Usually, I prefer red tomatoes because of the nutritional value from the redness (lycopene--recommended for cancer prevention and as a general antioxidant).

On Sep 9, 2002, tiG from Newnan, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Excellent tomato, not sweet, and just right on the acidity. One of the best I've had in a salad.

On Sep 8, 2002, TomatoCarl wrote:

If I only had one tomato plant this may not be it, but it is in my top dozen for salads or salsa. Both the taste and the color make it a good addition to a deversified tomato patch.