Wood rose, Spanish Morning Glory, Yellow Morning Glory

Merremia tuberosa

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Merremia (me-REE-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: tuberosa (too-ber-OH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Ipomoea tuberosa
Synonym:Operculina tuberosa
Synonym:Ipomoea mendesii
Synonym:Batatas tuberosa

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Lafayette, Tennessee

Westmoreland, Tennessee

On Jan 4, 2013, BETELGEUSE312 from ATHENS
Greece wrote:

I have been growing Merremia tuberosa for over five years now. It thrives during our long, very hot summers but dislikes winter and, if not protected, its foliage dies out only to return with a vengeance in spring (usually early May). It grows very rapidly, I chose it because I loved its spectacular yellow flowers and interesting leaves. Unfortunately I have seen its flowers only in the pictures of other people so far. My own plant has not produced even one for me. I am still hoping though...

On Mar 9, 2012, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Attractive foliage, but the size of the plant is annoyingly enormous.
The worst of all is that i haven' t seen a single flower in nearly 10 years, despite its huge size. It is winter blooming and every year gets damaged by light frost before i see any flower buds.
The plant is tuberous and dies down in case of below freezing temperatures.
Prohibited in Florida because it is very invasive in tropical and subtropical climates.

On Apr 4, 2005, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant grows wild in Hawaii. When they are in bloom, the sight is spectacular since it looks like trees and overhead power cables are draped (think kudzu, but much prettier;-)) with yards of the stuff all in bloom. I love using the dried seed pods (wood roses) in arrangements and wreaths.

On Apr 3, 2005, edric from Oak Hill, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I Live in Oak Hill,FL 32759, I'm on the Southwest side of a sandridge, protected from a good portion of the wind in the winter, along side of the woods, where after growing under artficial lighting for the first winter, in spring this is where I planted. It blooms all through the fall with a bright yellow bloom, opens in morning, closes at night, then in late fall, second bloom appears as a large bud, and does not open for over three months, shortly after opening flower dries, cut when flower starts to dry, but before stem turns brown. For my current work with this species, click here, Ed
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=16213&st=0...... read more

On Nov 16, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant grows naturally on clear areas, climbing and covering any shrubs and trees in its way. Its hard to erradicate. The flowers are beautiful, though, and with an uncommon color for this family.