Japanese Windflower, Japanese Anemone, Japanese Thimbleflower
Anemone hupehensis

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anemone (uh-NEM-oh-nee) (Info)
Species: hupehensis (hew-pay-EN-sis) (Info)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Vincent, Alabama

Arlington, Virginia

Mechanicsville, Virginia

Springfield, Virginia

Stuarts Draft, Virginia

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

Spokane, Washington

Cedarburg, Wisconsin

On Sep 15, 2013, Liriope456 from West Newbury, MA wrote:

I bought this (white variety) for shade gardens in Northern Virginia and then transplanted some to our new house in the northeastern corner of Massachusetts, where it is flourishing, but crowding out other plants. Foliage starts in spring; blooms go from mid-September through November. I have also seen this plant near the Russian River in Northern California

On Jan 21, 2011, Tasha1937 from Centurion
South Africa wrote:

I bought this plant last season from a Nursery in Pretoria, South Africa which specialises in showy plants which are "something different" from the norm found in SA gardens.
It flowered well during the first flowering season in my garden but this summer, despite having grown into a healthy looking, compact plant with lots of leaves, it has so far not produced any flowers.
I should welcome any suggestions to promote flower development?

On Oct 10, 2010, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I got some seeds of a "pink anemone" at a seed exchange, and swooned with excitement. I didn't realize it wanted cold stratification to germinate until it was spring, but lucky for me we had a very cold wet spring. I direct sowed them in mid April, and almost gave up hope before I saw the barest green flecks in late May. I have a healthy patch of anemone now, and today, mid October, it bloomed. Let it run, I've given it room.

On Jul 31, 2009, lawgal from Pikesville, MD wrote:

I received a few of these as transplants from my cousin in early June. They transplanted fine and just bloomed now in mid July. Quite happy with it!

On May 3, 2009, rinomanfroni from Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

It definitely doesn't like to be transplanted. Out of three plants I transplanted, three died almost immediately.

I think that people are confusing "Anemome Hupehensis var. Japonica" with the regular "Anemone Hupehensis." While the Japonica variety is definitely shorter than Hupehensis, it also does not spread like a weed.

I also have been able to germinate it from seed. I followed this schedule and it was successful for me. I sowed the seeds in a small pot and sealed it in one Hefty sealing bag during all the time until germination.

1) Sowed Jan 23
2) Refrigerated Feb 4
3) Took out of fridge Mar 28
4) Germinated Apr 11

On Dec 30, 2004, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

Perhaps because our clay-based soil is more inhibiting to a plant's potential invasiveness than sandy soil, as well as our winter being colder than the California garden above, we have not experienced a problem with invasiveness of our July - Aug blooming, single, pink Japanese anemone.

Our pink anemone grows "en masse" behind the silvery, Japanese painted fern, which is interrupted by an unnamed monster blue-glaucous, pleated hosta. In addition to the late blooms and long season interest, in a part of the garden too shady for many other flowers, this grouping is one of the places in our garden we pretty much leave alone except for one spring weeding - a wonderful "groundcover combination".

Also, deer, rabbits, woodchucks, snails, etc. don't bother it. We fi... read more

On Oct 18, 2003, helenkaye5 from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Attractive foliage with beautiful delicate pink flowers in the fall which is a great addition to my garden. Unfortunately, it is a prolific grower and needs to be kept severely in check otherwise it becomes a nuisance. It tends to get very "leggy" and needs to be staked.

On Jun 3, 2003, soilsandup from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A.japonica - The blooms are pretty and it provides color in the garden in late summer. However, it spreads rapidly through fibrous roots. The pinkish-purplish variety more so than the white one. I have to agressively "weed" out the plants 2-3 times a year to keep it in check and you can't get rid of it. Plant with that in mind. With both positive and negative attributes - have to give it a neutral.

On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Easily grown in average, medium wet, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Soak tubers in water overnight before planting, and plant in fall. Although called windflowers, these plants will do best if sheltered from the wind. Keep moist in growing season.

On Jul 1, 2001, RiseAnn from Rapid City, SD (Zone 5b) wrote:

Likes moist soils. Flower best if left undivided. Need protection from wind.