PlantFiles: Jumpseed, Virginia Knotweed
Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis 'Lance Corporal'

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Persicaria (per-sih-KAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: virginiana var. filiformis

Thumbnail #6 of Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis by WaterCan2

By WaterCan2
Thumbnail #7 of Persicaria virginiana var. filiformis by WaterCan2

Neutral June1 On May 22, 2012, June1 from Cobourg

I searched patterned leaf perennials but couldn't find it. Finally I searched chevron leaf pattern and found it. Just bought it at a home plant sale - never saw it before - I'll have to see what it does.

I also bought a plant that looks for all the world like curly dock but has a little pink plume flower. Any ideas?

Positive Eldritch On May 20, 2012, Eldritch from Berwyn Heights, MD wrote:

How in the world do I get rid of this? It's taking over my flower bed! Help!!

Neutral Kim_M On Jun 11, 2011, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have it planted in full sun and it seems not to be affected at all. It's invasive. But it covers areas fast and well. overall a good plant.

Positive Aezarien On May 29, 2009, Aezarien from Shelby, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I received two of these last year and they have performed beautifully in a few different places. They are very hardy and grow nicely in my well drained prepared shade bed as well as another bed of amended clay in filtered sun. I even have a few babies popping up in the gravel beside my prepared bed. It does reseed freely and throw seed. Following the advice I was given to enjoy the blooms for a short time then trim them off, I ended up with less babies than could be counted on both hands. I enjoy the foliage enough that I could happily clip blooms when I see them and not miss them.

I can see the potential for this plant to get out of hand if left to its own devices. I wouldn't want large patches of it. My few plants here and there with blooms clipped in a timely fashion have behaved and been easy to keep in check however.

Negative happy_macomb On Jan 22, 2009, happy_macomb from Chevy Chase, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

In my yard, Lance Corporal has been highly invasive because of its wide distribution of seedlings. I had it for several years before it became a problem. And once I realized it was a problem, I tried to eradicate it -- that was maybe two years ago. But I can't. It keeps showing up where I didn't originally plant it and where I don't expect to see it - all over the yard, in the lawn, and far from where I originally had it planted. I also found it in my front yard, and I'm worried that it has spread into the neighborhood. Its seeds are extremely viable and far flung. It is pretty, but I recommend avoiding it.

Positive Barbara_Thomas On Jun 20, 2008, Barbara_Thomas from Underwood, WA wrote:

This plant is a winner in my book. Yes, it throws off a lot of seedlings, but that gives me a lot of extras to share or add in a new bed.
Try planting it in combination with Japanese bloodgrass to make them both pop!

Positive Joy On Nov 9, 2007, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

It is not true that this plant does not set seed, flowers are sterile, or plants will not come true from seed. It self sows in my garden and it does come true from seed.

Positive RKChesnutt On Aug 12, 2006, RKChesnutt from Arvada, CO wrote:

Living in Arvada, Colorado, I have had this plant in a pot on my deck for 3 years. I do NOT bring it in for the winter. It has came back beautifully from seed every year... however it is the end of June or July before it sends it's first leaves up.

Positive pdxJules On Jun 29, 2005, pdxJules from Portland, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a beauty - mine gets 3' all around. It seems a long time each spring before it becomes a fully-rounded shrub. The wait is worth it, IMO. ..as it looks lush all summer and fall without fuss. Portland area folks - come get starts from me - I love to share. (Am planning to try some younger plants in pots indoors this winter - I suspect it will act like coleus and do fine)

Positive sycrasy On Aug 29, 2004, sycrasy from Atlanta, GA wrote:

Here in Atlanta, this is often considered a nuisance plant. My nursery has stopped selling it as is pops up in our display gardens like a weed. Red Dragon persicaria is much easier to control.

Extremely hardy and often evergreen, it spreads readily by seed. Does well in full shade and tolerates acid clay soils in both dry and wet areas.

Positive gardenscence On Sep 2, 2003, gardenscence from Wakefield, MA wrote:

I purchased this plant about four years ago from the Variegated Foliage Nursery in Connecticut (near Hartford.) I have been checking the internet for days and yours is the first site I found any information or photos other that the nursery site that has this plant.

It is in an area of my garden that is almost all shade and a dark area so it shows up. I am trying it in another area that gets morning sun but still is under the stand of about eight huge oak trees behind a shed and quite shaded.

It is a gorgeous, showy plant with tricolored red, green and white leaves. It takes its time coming up in the spring, is about 12-14" in late summer, and budding up to get ready to bloom. The blooms are a deep pink, almost red and at least 8-10 in. It will bloom until the frost around here too and lasts up to a month. It reseeds itself quite nicely around itself to around a foot away so far as I have found.

The original plant base is around 6" and I think it is made up of multiple plants--it grows straight up and the flowers are like spikes and straight up too. I find plants popping up even now, this year I have potted up over two dozen so far. They are very hardy and transplant very nicely. My friends love free plants and we swap in garden club too. It is one of my favorite perennials. I hope this have helped others. I lost the tag that came with the plant and have been searching for a couple of years now for its name. Thank you.

Arvada, Colorado