Bugle, Bugleweed, Carpet Bugle 'Catlin's Giant'

Ajuga reptans

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ajuga (a-JOO-guh) (Info)
Species: reptans (REP-tanz) (Info)
Cultivar: Catlin's Giant

Bucyrus, Ohio

Galena, Ohio

Bluffton, South Carolina

Knoxville, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Longview, Texas

Mc Lean, Virginia

On Mar 30, 2013, JoannCooper from Bluffton, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grew this plant in my Virginia (Z 7A) garden for years. Growing in dryish clay soil there, it did not obtain it's full size and looked like an ordinary A. reptans. In 7A it died back in the winter, putting out new leaves in early spring.

I brought a rooted cutting to my new garden in South Carolina (Z 8b, near Savannah), and in this climate it has thrived. It is growing in well amended, well drained but moist sandy soil in part sun and it achieved it's full size in a single season. Here it is fully evergreen. The leaves remain a crisp bronze-green all year and the bright blue flowers appear in early sping. The contrast of flower and foliage color is striking. It does not put out runners as quickly here as it did in Virginia, possibly because the mother plant grows so ... read more

On Apr 10, 2011, gardenergirl678 from Hamilton, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The best ajuga ever! I use it to soften hardscapes and to flow over the sides of containers. They bloom in early April here. Even the blooms are larger. Easy to transplant, so share them! I also use the Burgundy Glow cultivar, but it isn't as hardy in the ground as the Catlin's Giant.

On Feb 3, 2010, graysonbaur from Durham, NC wrote:

The DG site lists this plant as poisonous. I can find no other site that lists it that way - not NCSU, not Penn State, nor Canada. UC Davis lists it specifically as "safe". Does anyone know for sure whether it is toxic and what is your source? Thanks.

On Oct 23, 2007, Biker1 from McLean, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

It's been doing well in McLean, VA. It speads slowly and is selfsufficient.

On Jun 18, 2006, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

In western Connecticut, this plant blooms in spring - pretty blue. I cut the spent blooms. It does take over, so is best not in a flowerbed!

On Apr 5, 2006, saltcedar from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Seems to love lime and water here in Texas.

On Feb 19, 2006, gklouda from Iowa City, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Bloom time is listed here as Late Summer/Early Fall. Could this be just a mistake? Certainly a spring bloomer for me, and have seen it listed as such elsewhere.

It has a habit of dying out after a few years for me. I have kept it going in my garden by transplanting to new areas. Something gets depleted in the soil I think. I am wondering if an acidic fertilizer would help. Anyone else have this problem?

On Oct 13, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Catlins Giant is one of the largest-growing varieties of ajuga, forming bronzy-red, spinach-like leaves. It is an excellent ground cover for shady areas.

The flowers appear in spring on 4 spikes with a plant spread of 12-24. Ajuga Catlins Giant will do best in a shaded area but will adapt to morning sun, the foliage colors will be more vivid with morning sun.

On Sep 12, 2002, yons from bandon, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

The ajuga that I planted this spring has totally disappeared during the summer dry spell. I hope it comes back when the rains begin in October.

On Sep 11, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I purchased Ajuga 'Catlin's Giant' at a local nursery this spring. It has happily lived in a 6" pot all summer and has gained considerable size. The accompanying bright blue bloom is a real bonus.