Variegated Lily Turf, Lilyturf, Monkey Grass
Liriope muscari 'Variegata'

Family: Ruscaceae
Genus: Liriope (lir-RYE-oh-pee) (Info)
Species: muscari (mus-KAR-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Silver/Gray

Violet/Lavender

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Jones, Alabama

Martinez, California

Boca Raton, Florida

Inverness, Florida

Islamorada, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Old Town, Florida

Hendersonville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Lafayette, Tennessee

Memphis, Tennessee

Murfreesboro, Tennessee (2 reports)

Rockwood, Tennessee

Petersburg, Virginia

Springfield, Virginia

Liberty, West Virginia

On Jan 22, 2013, paani from Saint Louis, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

According to the ASPCA toxic plant site, all members of the lily family can cause severe kidney damage to cats after ingestion of just a small amount. Cats will chew on this in the winter when there's no other grass around.

On May 27, 2008, trioadastra from Ellsworth, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

I bought this plant about 5 years ago as a houseplant for my husband, and it has amazingly survived! It hardly ever gets watered, and barely sees the light of day. It has never flowered, but is impervious to spider mites. I am going to try it in pots out by the pond this year, maybe I can coax some blooms out of it.

On Nov 13, 2005, sdagutis from Oakton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've had great luck with these hardy plants. They're are practically maintenance free. I cut last year's growth down to the ground in early spring before the new growth starts.

I like to combine this variety with wine or burgundy plants. My latest combination is by our front door. We planted a Nandina domestica 'Plum Passion' as a specimen plant and the variegated liriope are used as ground cover underneath.

On Jun 9, 2005, love0gardening from West Milford, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted four of these and only two came up this year, but I'm not sure if it was because my soil is heavy clay and perhaps I didn't put in enough mulch. I rated this positive anyway, because they are such lovely plants and I'm going to keep trying because they're worth it!

Also, I tried to collect the seeds, took off their outer covering and saved them, but when I planted them this year, none came up. Any suggestions?

On Aug 2, 2004, Khyssa from Inverness, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

The only comment I can add to all the positive comments that have already been posted is that I noticed this year that my variegated lirope is blooming white. Has anyone else had this happen?

On Aug 7, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Grows in solid clay. Grows under a maple tree. Grows in a bucket of water! Drought tolerant and non-invasive. A wonderful border plant.

On Aug 4, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Love this plant, and another combination is with purple wood sorrel (oxalis), a deep purple leaved shamrock looking plant with little pink flowers. The two plants grow to about the same height, and the contrast is striking. I came upon this combination by accident as I planted two large clumps of variegated liriope on either side of the entrance of a path into a dark oak woods behind our house in an Atlanta suburb a few years ago (zone 7b)--even at night the white in the liriope leaves told you where the path entrance was--and the oxalis came up as volunteers, probably from the nursery where I purchased the variaged liriope. They both survived snow and 6 F degree weather.

On Aug 4, 2003, mocloa from Hendersonville, TN wrote:

This is a great plant. We used it to accent the edge of our sidewalk 10 years ago. One plant every 3 feet or so. The plants have stayed put and other than ordinary weeding I do nothing for it. (Except to trim it in the early spring) I planted crocus in between the plants and when the grass is at its worse, the crocus steal the show.

On Aug 4, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant. There's not much more to add to the positive comments except to say that it's not invasive, even in loose soil. In July or August, the plants develop spikes bearing dark purple or violet flowers.

On Aug 4, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is one of the easiest plants I know of to grow. I put it in the yard & forget it. In my yard in Jacksonville, Florida it flourishes beautifully with no trimming, fertilizing or watering other than natural rainfall. It has weathered the harshest winter weather we've ever had with no apparent residuals. I have a few oak trees in my yard so that may contribute to the success of growing this plant in inclement weather.

On Aug 3, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

This makes an excellent border plant, very striking and carefree. Lives for ages and gets more beautiful with age.
Just remember to cut back in spring before new growth emerges.

On Apr 4, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Hard to capture in a photo, this plant can almost glow, especially when placed in front of plants with darker foliage.

We found clumps of variegated liriope interspersed among the liriope lining one backyard bed, so we pulled it out and used it to line a smaller bed (it's much more effective when massed.) It's slower to spread than the "plain green" kind, but worth the effort and patience to grow.

Like other Liriope, the foliage can look tatty after a cold winter, so trim back before the new shoots appear.

On Sep 21, 2002, cdave from Fort Gibson, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Does well in both the sun and shade. Completely carefree. It doesn't seem to mind heat or cold, or being dry or wet. We found a clump of liriope under a huge forsythia. It had been totally neglected for years. It was divided into sixteen separate plants and is thriving in every location in the yard. The varigated leaves bleach out some in sunny spots.

On Sep 11, 2002, Sugar_fl from montgomery, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I like it by the pond. I'm not sure if it would be happy in a bog or in the pond though. I have seen them used as a border plant. I really like the variegated leaves.