Spotted Bellflower
Campanula punctata 'Cherry Bells'

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: punctata (punk-TAH-tah) (Info)
Cultivar: Cherry Bells

Novi, Michigan

Royal Oak, Michigan

Harris, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)

Lincoln, Nebraska

Vancouver, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

On May 31, 2010, tomblanton from Lookout Mountain, TN wrote:

In the garden this beautiful plant is quite invasive, but grown in a container it is spectacular.

On May 20, 2010, plantbernie from East Greenbush, NY wrote:

This plant is taking over and I am constantly pulling out little runners. So invasive! I had this previously in NJ in really poor clay soil and it was fine. But in healthy soil it just runs rampant! BEWARE! It grows in your lawn, through the stones in rock walls, among other plants! It is unstoppable.

On Aug 25, 2009, napdognewfie from Cumberland, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

It has not spread for me at all & I have had it for about 5 years. It dies back after it blooms & is hidden by all the other plants in my garden. I wouldn't like it much as a specimen plant but in the midst of my jungle, it does just fine.

On Aug 7, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Not worth it .Is not the pretty red in my garden . Don't really know what to call it but not red. Is extremely invasive also . Disappointed.

On Jun 7, 2009, JiminRingoes from Ringoes, NJ wrote:

Do not be seduced by the photos of beautiful flowers in catalogs. Being naive, I ordered C. punctata 'Cherry Bells' and 'Pantaloons'. These plants expend so much energy spreading to where they're not wanted (I have some emerging through asphalt at the edge of my driveway) that they can't be bothered to stand up. Consequently they lounge around like lazy teenagers and require constant staking to achieve any semblance of order. "Punctata" is obviously Latin for "invasive weed." This plant has no redeeming qualities ... a perfect gift for your worst enemy. Can anybody recommend a supplier of Agent Orange?

On Aug 5, 2007, felicia014 from Ridgefield, CT wrote:

I just ripped this plant out of my garden last week (and see some trying to come back). It is basically a groundcover with a few spikes of flowers. It is very invasive, and worked in among most other surrounding plants. Because of the nature of it's growth, controlling the spread is difficult. The deer browse it. It looks scraggly unless you deadhead spent blooms. Basically, I decided it was not worth the effort in my garden.

On Jul 5, 2007, ladychroe from Bridgewater, NJ wrote:

It's pretty for about a week, and then the bells change to an ugly grey lavender. I have mine planted in sunken pots so that it doesn't take over my garden, and it's showing signs of wanting to leap the side.

I'm thinking of ripping it out... I hear it's almost impossible to get rid of, and I worry that it might escape. You can see the ring of plantlets around the pot's edge, just waiting for their chance. I'm starting to think it's not worth the risk.

On Mar 7, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

Ive had this plant for four years. It has pritty flowers, but I find that this plant is very invasive. Mine do not bloom very long either, only for a week or less. I would not reccomend this plant if you dont want it to take over your garden.

On Oct 4, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

C. Punctata is a clump-forming type with creeping rhizomes. the dark green leaves are toothed, slightly hairy and ovate. Blooms in early summer on tall erect stems. Flowers are pendent and tubular-bell-shaped with a beautiful rose-pink color. Thrives in fertile neutral to alkaline, moist but well-drained soil in sun or partial shade.

On Jan 31, 2003, Baa wrote:

A cultivar of Campanula punctata bred in Japan.

Bears large (up to 2" long), nodding, dusky pink to red flowers.

Flowers June - early August

Loves a moist but well-drained soil in light shade. It's quite vigorous so give it some room!

Unlikely to come true from seed.