Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'German Red Strawberry'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: German Red Strawberry

Elgin, Texas

Hutto, Texas

Raphine, Virginia

On Feb 11, 2012, PerennialConnection from Albion, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planted this super late (june) from leftovers that didn't sell at our greenhouse. I stuck 'em in the ground along the baseboards of the greenhouse, the soil is a harsh combination of sand & gravel. The only water they got was runoff from watering greenhouse plants.

By September the straggling vines were sporting GIANT fruits! They were firm, free from cracks and the plants for whatever reason were the last to get attacked by hornworms, and the last to frost off.

Because of the lateness of their planting, I picked them green. They made STUPENDOUS fried green tomatoes because they weren't super juicy on the inside. Others I just let ripen in a bag....they were great! Loved the texture and balanced flavor.

I am looking forward to trying these in my... read more

On Jun 15, 2011, mostlypatio from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I have grown this tomato for two seasons. However we could not set the plants out until almost late May, and it took too long for the fruit to ripe, we had our first tomato in October right before the first frost. The fruits were beautiful, very tasty with almost no seeds. I would not grow German Strawberry this year. We chose some earlier Russian heart tomatoes.

On Jun 14, 2010, hagarwood from Austin, TX wrote:

A great tasting tomato, but was worried it was a low producer. In mid June in Tx. it has set more fruit - unusual for this heat. I've saved seeds and will grow again for the fall garden.

On Dec 19, 2007, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

G.R.S. was the star of my 2007 garden. These solid, meaty tomatoes were mostly over a pound each, and the flavor is excellent. I'll be growing it every year. The only downside is that it's very late. The plant produced heavily, though - I set it out in early May, and it had many ripe tomatoes from mid-August through early October.

On Dec 4, 2007, ddrsheden from Bushnell, IL wrote:

Tried this variey for the first time in 2007. Started seeds indoors the last week of Feb. This was the first variety to bloom and set tomatoes and was the first to produce a ripe tomato. The first several tomatoes averages 1.5 pounds. They were dark pink rather than red. THIS is the best tomato you could ever use on a BLT sandwich. It has a mild sweet flavor and very few seeds which surprised me because of the size of the tomato. The production was good.
I like trying different varieties and most never make it back into my garden. This variety will definitly be back next year and every year after that.

On Feb 5, 2006, MichaelBates from Lawrence, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is by far the best ox heart we have ever tried. Even after torrential rains this one was less likely to crack maintaining hugh meaty fruits that were easy to pick and transport to market with less brusing than other varities.

Seed available from Bear Creek Farm

On Jul 8, 2004, rhealady from Jacksonville, IL wrote:

It is early July in zone 5, and we had a cool spring. We have been enjoying these lucious tomatoes for 3 weeks. Note: I start the seedlings in early Feb.

This tomato is easier than Brandywine, early, and delicious. I have put it on the list to grow again, and that is a very, very short list. I am tired of tomatoes that don't deliver and this one does.

The tomato is very meaty is should make a wonderful sauce or ketchup, however, none have gotten that far!

On Jan 14, 2003, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Great taste! Sweet and acid combined into a beautiful blend.

The vines look like they're too sickly to bear the weight of the fruit,but I have been told by experts that this is normal for the hearts.Production is moderate at best,but the full bodied taste makes up for lack of tomatoes.

They ripened later in my garden than I would have thought they should,but last year was a horrible growing season.I feel that the plants were not as early because of stress.

For the most part,these were 1 pound or better and a delightful variety...I'll give them another shot and hope for a better growing year.