PlantFiles: Peruvian Mock Vervain, Red Vervain
Glandularia peruviana 'Red Devil'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Glandularia (glan-doo-LAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: peruviana (per-u-vee-AN-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Devil

Synonym:Glandularia chamaedryfolia
Synonym:Verbena peruviana

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)
8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)
over 9.1 (very alkaline)

Thumbnail #2 of Glandularia peruviana by CBernard

By dmj1218
Thumbnail #3 of Glandularia peruviana by dmj1218

Negative stormyla On Jul 3, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Even though this was rated for my zone, none of the plants made it through winter. It was nice while growing. They spread almost 30".

Positive usmcwife On Mar 11, 2007, usmcwife from Round Rock, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a pretty tough plant. I have it planted in my front yard in a rainbow egg rock garden, with other perennials and two species of cacti. The front of our house faces WNW and all of the plants suffer from the brutal Central Texas sun & heat. The leaves will burn and, sometimes the flowers will, too. If you water regularly, and feed with miracle grow, this woody, vine-like flower (it's little arms look like twigs) will spread out and attract butterflies. They LOVE them and will skip over all of the other flowers in my garden to walk on & taste my red verbena. The tiny flower clusters look like red velvet. I've done quite a bit of research on this plant. It's nicknames are 'Creeping Red' verbena, 'Red Vervain' and 'Peruvian Red' verbena. Until I visited this website, I had no idea that it was also called 'Red Devil' but, I suppose that's appropriate. Although this plant is a perennial, it's lifespan is short. Most of the time, the original plants will die off after three to seven years and replantings will be necessary. It does produce seeds but, my rock garden doesn't re-seed all that well. Do not confuse this plant with the 'Clear Red', 'Aztec Red' or 'Scarlet' annual versions. I have, before and I've been disappointed.

Positive CBernard On May 15, 2006, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I agree with pokerboy. It is a wonderful addition to the garden.

Chuck

Positive pokerboy On Nov 20, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This verbena is a spreading evergreen perennial which in summer and autumn is almost completely covered in masses of bright red, turbular flowers. Great for rockeries, containers, borders and low maintainance gardens. Prefers moist well drained soil in full sun or part shade but tolerates a wide range of soils. Prune lightly after flowering to keep it neat and tidy and to maintain its nice compact growth. A great perennial ground cover to try. pokerboy.

Perris, California