PlantFiles: Popcorn Cassia, Peanut Butter Cassia
Senna didymobotrya

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Senna (SEN-nuh) (Info)
Species: didymobotrya (did-ee-mo-BOT-ree-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Cassia didymobotrya

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Provides winter interest

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By arsenic

Thumbnail #6 of Senna didymobotrya by palmbob

By daryl
Thumbnail #7 of Senna didymobotrya by daryl

Positive emmysgarden On Sep 11, 2014, emmysgarden from Butler, PA wrote:

My 4 year old daughter picked this out at a green house at the very beginning of summer (May-ish). I figured we'd give it a try but didn't have high hopes. I picked the sunniest spot I could find and it has done amazingly well! It started as a tiny 6" pot and now its flowers reach chest high! It has seed pods on it now (September) which I will be harvesting to start inside, I don't think this will winter over but I am going to cut it back and leave it in the ground to see what happens. Very fun plant to grow and actually makes a nice cut flower too!!

Positive schnes12 On Jun 28, 2014, schnes12 from Mesa, AZ wrote:

We live in Arizona and have had this plant in our yard for several years. It is a very unique plant that attracts a lot of attention - both with the smell which intensifies in our very hot summers and the beauty of the flowers. It easily grows to 8 feet every year after I cut it way back in the spring. It is the centerpiece of our yard which is all desert landscapes. We also have a Madagascar Palm which is multi-branched and 5 feet tall.

Positive annyboo On Sep 16, 2013, annyboo from Chatmoss, VA wrote:

The plant seems healthy and growing fast.It is producing the buds for the flowers but something keeps eating the buds and I have no flowers. Can someone help me with this problem? Thank you.

Neutral vossner On Dec 16, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Blooms do smell like popcorn.

UPDATE: September 2014. Definitely not hardy in zone 9a. Perhaps if you grow in a container and overwinter, can you enjoy it for years but I'm not going to bother. Too many other things to overwinter already. Besides, there are other fine cassias that survive our mild winters just fine.

Positive Mootsie On Sep 12, 2012, Mootsie from Golden Valley, MN wrote:

A popcorn lover, I found this plant 3 years ago in Minneapolis, MN. I've gifted it to fellow popcorn fans and my plant is perched close to the front door where it's a fragrant, calorie-free treat to share with guests!

Positive maxnbella On May 20, 2012, maxnbella from Gary, IN wrote:

I'm in NW Indiana and I just picked this plant up from a flea market. It's really pretty but it's a tropical and I'm sure wont last in any temp below 50. Maybe if you put it in a pot it will overwinter in the greenhouse. That's my plan, I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

Neutral plantlady441sia On May 20, 2012, plantlady441sia from Stockbridge, MI wrote:

Will this plant grow in Michigan winter?

Positive holger_bandte On Feb 21, 2010, holger_bandte from Dapto
Australia wrote:

I was interested to learn this plant's scientific name, and where it originated from. How it got to Australia I don't know, but it grows easily in my garden, at the back of our verandah. In summer, it provides terrific shade, keeping the porch cooler. We cut it back heavily in Autumn, around Easter, to allow the Sun in over winter. By Christmas it has again grown to provide the much needed shade. The "popcorn" smell is a treat, and all who see it want one - I am propagating from cuttings as well as seed for all and sundry!

Positive sNic On May 2, 2007, sNic from New River, AZ wrote:

A friend bought this beautiful plant for me after I had admired her's. I planted it promptly, not wanting to waste any time. I have never in my life seen such a fast growing plant. Within 6 months, my plant went from one single stalk to well over 40 multiple stalks that measured up to 10 feet tall and 12 feet in diameter.
It smells exactly like buttered popcorn if you rub the leaves, water the leaves or if a breeze blows through them.
The yellow flower stalks are beautiful and flower all 12 months of the year in central Arizona. It is necessary to cover them if the night time temp falls below freezing for 3 or more nights. Other than that, I haven't done anything special other than feed during planting and once a year after that. I water mine once every two weeks Nov - March and twice a week during the hot summer months.

Positive suburbanite On Feb 11, 2007, suburbanite from Evergreen, CO (Zone 4a) wrote:

This graceful, feathery shrub hails from Africa. In St. Petersburg, Florida, we bought three as eight-inch rooted cuttings from a "backyard breeder" down the street. We planted in full sun, about three feet apart, fairly sandy soil, with water 3x weekly and no other special treatment. Six months later, the shrubs are rounded in shape, about 3' in diameter by 4' tall and flowering beautifully. The foliage is a soft neutral green, and the flower stalks are about a foot long. Visibility from the road is very nice. I plan to to prune them after flowering to maintain their shape and will try to remember to update on the success of that.

Positive valeriebock On Dec 14, 2006, valeriebock from Sinajana
Guam (USA) wrote:

This plant is also a food source for some sulpher butterfly caterpillars. I grew this plant in Florida and raised butterlies from it and I've also seen caterpillars on the plants here on Guam.

Positive baallead On Dec 8, 2004, baallead from koh maak
Thailand wrote:

Larvicidal properties of aqueous extracts of the leave stem and root barks of Senna didymobotrya (Fabaceae) were evaluated against the malaria vector (Anopheles fluviatilis) under physiological conditions. Larvicidal assays showed that early larval stages were more prone to the lethal effects of the plant extracts, and that the root barks extract possessed the strongest larvicidal activity. Larvicidal effects were obtained after 3 hours of incubation of the larvae in 1,0.1, or 0.01% w/v solutions of the aqueous extracts. It was concluded that S. didymoborya is a potential mosquito larvicide.

Apache Junction, Arizona
Chandler, Arizona (2 reports)
Glendale, Arizona